Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vegetarians?

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:31 PM
  • 11 Replies

DD is 13 and mentioned the other day that she wanted to try being vegetarian. I want to be supportive, but I want to make sure that she does it properly. Anybody have any helpful hints and suggestions to make sure that she is still getting the proper nutrients? Thanks!

by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:45 PM
Um, not me, we LOVE our meat, but heres a bump for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strictmomhere
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:48 PM
Does she like beans she needs hi protein foods
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leahbeah143
by Leah on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Quoting ashleighmama:

Um, not me, we LOVE our meat, but heres a bump for you.

lol this is exactly why I have to ask around

mcr17
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:53 PM
She needs to make sure she gets enough protein.i usually east those vegetarian foods
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
4kidslater2009
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:14 AM
Morning star and Boca make a lot of really good veggie burgers and other fake "meats". I love the chik patties. Tofu is a good source of protein, so are beans.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:18 AM

i would just make sure she gets a lot of protein found in beans and peanut butter and things like that. i am not a vegetarian myself.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

There are enough plant protein sources to get adequate protein.  Meat is really jut a secondary source of protein as the meats people eat come from "vegetarian" animals.

There are a variety of beans and lentils as well as dairy products to eat to get the right amounts of protein and amino acids.

Tofu is great because it is so bland, it will take on any seasoning or marinade.  It can be baked, grilled, crumbled (like for tofu tacos or tofu scramble) or stir fried.

I've been a vegetarian for 15 years so if you want any recipes or have any other questions just ask.

Also, it is a lot cheaper being veggie than buying meat.

icn_mom
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Start her on a teen multivitamin before she drastically changes her diet. Also, make sure she doesnt carb load, and she eats supple amounts of what she wants to eat. I would also buy a vegetarian cook book. :)

rhodaj
by rho on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:28 AM

I really don't no much about it but I would look around for recipes and things like that. I would also watch that she doesn't start loosing weight.

Sadie_J_0202
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Ever since I was little, I was the kid getting weepy over having to eat a cheeseburger and fries. Vegetarianism was a natural choice for me. My mom was pretty worried about the possiblity that I'd starve my brain or something. Spinach is really high in iron, and beans are super swell too. The soy meats can be expensive, and with only her eating them, it doesn't really make buying them worth it. 

I think that you should let her try though. It sounds like a pretty good learning experience to me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)