Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

what would you do?

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 4:42 PM
  • 13 Replies

my SS (12 years old ) lives with us he swears up and down he is a jehovah wittness....which is fine i respect all religions. but what do i do about christmas??? he swears hes a witness and wouldnt help decorate the tree wont have anything to do with christmas but asked for a xbox. do i not get him a gift??? i kinda feel like i should cause its christmas but kinda feel like i shouldnt because if he chooses to be or do something i think its important for them to learn to stick to there descions....there is no sticking to it based on conveniance. what would you do ??

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:19 PM

i agree with  you. if he doesnt beleive in christmas then he shouldnt be asking for a gift. hes contradicting himself with that. i think you need to explain to him if he is going to go by this religion then he must follow its beliefs.

mrsvixen
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:33 PM
2 moms liked this

It his choice and he doesn't want to do the Xmas thing, that includes gifts

CafeMom Tickers
angel_peanut
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Quoting lyrick24:

i agree with  you. if he doesnt beleive in christmas then he shouldnt be asking for a gift. hes contradicting himself with that. i think you need to explain to him if he is going to go by this religion then he must follow its beliefs.

i just noticed i posted in wrong group!!!lol. thank you so much for your responce.....i do agree with you ....he is at a age where he needs to learn to follow through. i respect the choice he just has to realize he cant pick and choose what aspects he wants to follow and which ones he doesnt

elwalters77
by Erica on Dec. 6, 2012 at 6:53 AM
This

Quoting lyrick24:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flowrsgalore
felt crummy last night, woke up feeling crummy this morning. I know, I know snap yourself out of it.
Yesterday at 7:15 AM
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:27 AM

Is it mom who is Jehovah's  Witness? My bet is that if she is she'd prefer no Xbox at this time.  He's twelve so of course he'd like the toy, he's probably hearing nonstop xmas gift talk at school. Ugh I wouldn't want to have to have this discussion over & over with a tween. Good luck.

angel_peanut
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Quoting flowrsgalore:

Is it mom who is Jehovah's  Witness? My bet is that if she is she'd prefer no Xbox at this time.  He's twelve so of course he'd like the toy, he's probably hearing nonstop xmas gift talk at school. Ugh I wouldn't want to have to have this discussion over & over with a tween. Good luck.

no moms not a witness, neither is DH. DH was raised a witness but choose along time ago not to follow that religion. my mother and father inlaw are both jehovah witness. it sucks going through this over and over again with him! sometimes i swear he does it just to go against the grain....has to be differant and difficult for that matter lol

flowrsgalore
felt crummy last night, woke up feeling crummy this morning. I know, I know snap yourself out of it.
Yesterday at 7:15 AM
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:04 AM

It kind of sounds like you'd like for him to learn that he needs to take his religion seriously, not something to be used to seem different or used for convenience. Twelve is old enough to teach this lesson IMO.  Maybe he needs to have a chat with grandma or grandpa if he's needing some support with this aspect of being a witness. Or maybe he just wants the Xbox & his plan is to harangue you til he gets it! If he keeps up his stance that's he's truly a witness then I'd say no Xbox.

Quoting angel_peanut:

Quoting flowrsgalore:

no moms not a witness, neither is DH. DH was raised a witness but choose along time ago not to follow that religion. my mother and father inlaw are both jehovah witness. it sucks going through this over and over again with him! sometimes i swear he does it just to go against the grain....has to be differant and difficult for that matter lol

angel_peanut
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Quoting flowrsgalore:

It kind of sounds like you'd like for him to learn that he needs to take his religion seriously, not something to be used to seem different or used for convenience. Twelve is old enough to teach this lesson IMO.  Maybe he needs to have a chat with grandma or grandpa if he's needing some support with this aspect of being a witness. Or maybe he just wants the Xbox & his plan is to harangue you til he gets it! If he keeps up his stance that's he's truly a witness then I'd say no Xbox.

Quoting angel_peanut:

Quoting flowrsgalore:

i think at all my older kids ages its important to learn the importance of there choices...they are 9, 11, and SS12. i feel when they decide to do things or choose things such as religion or sports...anything that requires some sort of obligation it is important they learn to stick to it. i feel it teaches them so many things for there future and helps set there foundation. i know if he doesnt get a gift he will play the sympothy card with his mom and grandma but theres not much i can do about that....if they fall for it its not my problem i guess. he lives here and i think its important to teach him values right now. he has talked in depth with grandma, myself and DH. i even went up and showed him a list of there beliefs because he didnt want to believe me but my uncle is a witness so i am some what knowledgeable on the religion. after talking to me, DH, and grandma he stands strong that he is a witness...he says thats why he went in his room and would not help decorate the christmas tree with the rest of the family

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I agree with everyone, if he is caliming he is a certain religion than he should follow those rules or not call himself a member of that faith.  And that includes Christmas presents.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:12 AM

I also wanted to add, I am Buddhist, but it is more of a philosophy than a religion.  I don't like organized religion but I celebrate the Santa and secular aspect of Christmas with my kids because I don't want them to feel left out.  I have studied a lot about the origins of Christams and feel fine doing this because it was a winter holiday with a different name long before Christianity came to Europe.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)