Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

High risk HPV & pregnant

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:15 PM
  • 13 Replies

I'm 12w 2d pregnant with my second child. As routine I had my Pap smear done at my first prenatal appt. and my doctor called too tell me my pap can back abnormal. This has never happened before and now I'm super depressed and beyond scared.. I go for a colposcopy Tuesday. Anyone have this before?

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
strngenough
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:49 PM
A colonoscopy because of an abnormal? That doesn't sound right. Also hpv is genital warts. Are you sure you got it right? I had an abnormal once and cancer. They do a leep procedure which is no big deal. Also, people get false abnormal a all the time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Diamondblue1
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 6:53 PM
I never had it done but it's like a microscope or some little camera they use to look at your cervix when pap smears come back abnormal. If you're not pregnant they perform a biopsy.
Misash103
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this
There are many different strains of HPV and not all cause warts. U will have to have pap every 6 months until u get a normal pap then u go back to yearly paps. Some strains of HPV cause cervical cancer that's why your dr is doing the Procedure on you. He uses a speculum and camera to look at cervix and do biopsy if needed. Don't be depressed. This is really common. Hpv is also common.

Quoting strngenough:

A colonoscopy because of an abnormal? That doesn't sound right. Also hpv is genital warts. Are you sure you got it right? I had an abnormal once and cancer. They do a leep procedure which is no big deal. Also, people get false abnormal a all the time

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Sorry hun do your research HPV is NOT just genital warts, there are many strains of hpv MANY of which do NOT attribute to warts. Cervical cancer is another factor to watch out for. But if she does have HPV doesnt mean she has warts,

Quoting strngenough:

Mama2ETA
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I've had multiple culposcopies. They all came back normal. My dr even did a biopsy once while pregnant to prevent having to do another colposcopy because it burns me. I was cringing in pain, but didn't tell her and she could tell so much that she said she had never seen someone's pain that bad during one. I guess my skin is sensitive, but after my 6 week appointments, I had normal paps. I had abnormal with ever pregnancy and at 6wks with all 3.

Mama2ETA
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:01 PM

they use a vinegar and look to see if there are spots bubbling.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:19 AM

I had a false positive on an HPV test when I was pregnant.  They did another test and it came back negative, so I never had to do the colopscopy. Since then my hpv screens have all came back negative.

As far as I knew, HPV had nothing to do with warts, it is a virus that affected cell growth of the cervix.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:42 AM

I did have a colposcopy years ago, and it wasn't a huge deal. I also had to have a pap done every three months for a year and they all came back fine.

deltathree
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

sweetie - try not to stress.  It may be nothing.  It's fairly common.  There are so many strains of hpv & not all lead to cervical cancer.  With the further testing you'll know & can proceed from there.  HUgs.

ever_grey
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:12 PM

I have HPV. It wasn't discovered until after my husband and I had been together for a year. It's the cancer causing strain that has no visible symptoms to the naked eye.

HPV can be treated---not cured, but treated. It can also lay dormant, or go dormant. Now that you've been diagnosed, as you said, they will do a colposcopy and they may deem it necessary to biopsy. However, with you being pregnant they may postpone anything that could cause any trauma to your cervix. Please take into consideration that you may have gotten a false positive for HPV due to pregnancy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)