Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Anyone have this done or thought about? Update Wish me luck!

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:44 PM
  • 19 Replies

http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/electroconvulsive-therapy

This is my last resort. within the next month or so (not sure) I will be going to a mental health hospital that does this treatment but it is in last resort cases. Not sure how I feel about it yet still doing research. There are some Youtube videos out there about this treatment and its success 

Im so nervous!! in a few hours I'll be heading to the hosptal thats about 4 hours away I'll be there 10 days maybe longer....... No internet no phone...... I know I know I need this like NOW. So I will update when I come back. My intake appoitment is at 530 est so Ill be on until then. So wish me luck and please keep me in your thoughts and prayers 

I wanna see JJ before I leavecrying

by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Isiswolfe
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Go with your gut feelings and make damn sure you are not gonna be a genie pig.Good luck 

one of the mom pack
ZakkarysMom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:38 PM
I would be way too concerned with side effects.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anotherandree
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I worked in an eating disorder facility and many of my patients had had ECT in the past.  The experience seemed neither good nor bad.  It, obviously, did not help with their eating disorder (or the disorder developed later).  The process itself seems scary, to me, but like you said, it could be a last resort.  It has been around for MANY years and I don't think that ECT is still in any research phase, unless they are researching the effects of ECT on depression or something.

ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:47 PM
Ect? I cant view you tube on my crappy phone, but from what I can see its ECT? I had about 15 treatments of ECT done 7 or 8 years ago as a last resort, but it didnt work :-( I really had high hopes for it and was disappointed that it didnt help. But I DO know that it DOES help some people. The worst part for me is that it took a lot of my memory away and I didnt get it back. Have you tried lots of different meds?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jaybabies10
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Sorry it didnt work :( What kind of memories? Like the day before stuff like that? Ive been on a bunch of different meds nothing seems to get better and I feel that nothing will help or change :(

Quoting ashleighmama:

Ect? I cant view you tube on my crappy phone, but from what I can see its ECT? I had about 15 treatments of ECT done 7 or 8 years ago as a last resort, but it didnt work :-( I really had high hopes for it and was disappointed that it didnt help. But I DO know that it DOES help some people. The worst part for me is that it took a lot of my memory away and I didnt get it back. Have you tried lots of different meds?

ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:25 PM
As far as the memories go, it was things like my sons 1st bday party, I had ECT before he turned 2, where me and hubby favorite restaurant was, things like that. Theres more, just cant think of specifics right now. Lots of times, hubby or my mom talk about something I totally should remember, but I have no idea what theyre talking about and then we say "oh ya, it was before ECT". But if youre desperate, I say go for it. You are totally asleep and dont feel a thing. Its totally humane.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rhodaj
by rho on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:00 AM

I have never had it done. But I do know that there is a few in the group that has. I hope some of them will respond and maybe some websites that can help you.

elwalters77
by Erica on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:36 AM

I haven't but I know some of the ladies here have. I hope it works for you.

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:42 AM

i havent had it done but i know alot of people have and it has helped. sometimes you suffer from short term memory loss.

Jaybabies10
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:04 AM
Bump! I'm really nervous might be going to that hospital sooner than I thought...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN