Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

diagnosed schizophrenic **update**

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:17 AM
  • 6 Replies

my daughters ex boyfriend who she has two kids by has recently been diagnosed schizophrenic. he was living in california and we and his family are living in va. he just came home and admitted himself to the local psych hospital. he has been gone for a year and hasnt even seen his youngest child. his dr said he could have family come in this morning and visit since it had been so long since he had seen everyone so my daughter is taking her two kids to see him. i hope she is doing the right thing.

update- when they got there and the nurses brought him out to meet his family and my daughter and the kids it overwhelmed him and he began screaming to the top of his lungs and everyone had to leave and they had to put him back on the locked ward. i hope they can help him.

by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
leahbeah143
by Leah on Dec. 8, 2012 at 3:08 PM

oh my goodness. hopefully now that he's been diagnosed he can be properly treated.

deltathree
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:08 PM

hope it goes well....

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Wow.  that is a lot for you and your daughter and the kids to take in, not tomention the rest of his family.  Its good he is finally dx'd.

I was in a relationship with someone who was very probably schizophrenic, paranoid and disordered type.  I didn't realize the signs until it was too late.  He ended up setting himself on fire because he fled home and his treatment team and meds. its part of my PTSD from some of the stuff he also did directly to me.

I hope that the hospital can stabilize him and get him a treatment team.  With proper treatment, meds are a big factor but so is professional support, he can find stability enough to interact with his kids.

A problem with taking care of schizophrenia is that there are two groups of symptoms - the outward paranoia, delusions, halluicnations - meds can help those.  Then there are the "inward" symptoms, not taking personal care like bathing, changing clothes, eating, grooming or in many cases communicating.  this is where outreach treatment is extremely helpful, the meds really don't help that.

I wish your family, your daughter, the kids and his family luck in dealing with this.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:25 PM

(((hugs))) it will take time.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:43 AM

oh wow :-( how sad

Jazzy2010
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 1:03 AM
That must be difficult I hope one day it can be diffrent both for the kids and him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN