Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Therapist

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:02 PM
  • 9 Replies

So a quick backstory is that I was a therapist until I had my mental breakdown in June.  Shortly before I had my breakdown and for months there after, I tried to find a therapist.  My first 2 were, literally, traumatic experiences and the third was BEYOND easy to manipulate and talk about nothing (or dodge the issues) if I did not feel like sharing.  I started to seeing a VA psychiatrist in October and she recommended therapy again.  I told her my history and she said that she "knew just the person for me."  I thought, "yeah right."

Fast forward to today.  I have been seeing my current therapist since mid-November and I do absolutely adore her.  Today she asked me about something that I was instantly uncomfortable talking about so I talked around the question and then tried to change the subject.  She looked at me and said, "So what I see you doing is avoiding this question and so now we are going to talk about your resistance to this subject."  I LOVE HER!  She is JUST what I needed.

The moral of this story is that if you are not 100% satisfied with your therapy, it is okay to keep looking until you find just the right one.  You need to tell them to call you on your shit (if you are an avoider like me).

Sorry this is so long I am just crazy happy that my therapy is working!!!

by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Lunatic6997
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Congrats! It's so hard to find a good therapist and someone you click with :) 

ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Dec. 12, 2012 at 6:57 PM
Thats awesome! I too, have found that you have to find that "perfect" therapist who seems like they were special made just for you. It obviously has to be someone you completely trust and feel comfortable with, yet someone thats gonna call you on your bullshit without at the same time making you shut down. Ive been pretty lucky in all the years Ive been in therapy, Ive only had 1 or 2 crappy ones. Glad you found that perfect fit :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jazmyn1
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:05 PM

good for you!!!

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:27 PM

im glad you found a therapist that works good with you.

reindeer-c
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 3:26 AM
2 moms liked this

Thanks for sharing. I have given up on therapy because I am spending all of this money on therapists that just let me talk and have no direction for me to change my situation. I am glad to hear someone actually found a useful therapist. Congrats and be well.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Thanks for this post.  I had plenty of bad therapists, some who gave me downright bad advice, talked over me and were also easy to manipulate and get out of talking abut my real issues because I didn't trust them.  I love my therapist now.  She really actively listens to every word I say and every nuance and asks appropriate questions and provides thoughtful feedback.

anotherandree
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 6:21 PM

It's refreshing to find "a good egg," isn't?!  I was thinking I was always going to get duds!

Quoting matreshka:

Thanks for this post.  I had plenty of bad therapists, some who gave me downright bad advice, talked over me and were also easy to manipulate and get out of talking abut my real issues because I didn't trust them.  I love my therapist now.  She really actively listens to every word I say and every nuance and asks appropriate questions and provides thoughtful feedback.

twistandshout
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 5:56 AM

Yea, I know what ya mean. I have spent about 7 months looking for just the right pcp and I had an appointment yesterday and wow I believe this is the one for me. She is a little young than I but I really like her. Good luck with your new therapy person. Hope we both have found the dimond in the rough. Hugs

wearymoon
by Member on Dec. 14, 2012 at 7:07 AM
Finding the right therapist is a bit trying.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN