Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To our Pagan Members

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:51 AM
  • 9 Replies

The solstice is coming!  The darkest night of the year will soon be upon us and then it will be getting lighter.

Do you celebrate in any special way?  Do you involve your kids?

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
matreshka
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I relfect andmeditate on my own. I am very eclectic in my faith taking from buddhismand some facets of European paganism.  With my boys I read story books geared to ward kids and the wheel of the year.

I used to have a fire place and would make a yule log and we would sit buy it talking about winter and having a good time. I miss that.

lyrick24
by Group Admin on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:38 AM

what is the date?

matreshka
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:50 AM

The Solstice is on December 21, the official time is 11:17 universal time (greenwich mean time) So on the east coast I believe its at 2:17 pm.

Some people like to celebrate at the exact time. We have a sun wheel up here which was a project at Umass kind of modeled Stonehenge.  Others like to celebrate at night.

Quoting lyrick24:

what is the date?

deltathree
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:39 AM

The yule log & so many traditions we have are pagan.  So many ppl don't realize that.  The meta. shop where I get my crystals, sage, etc. the owner is pagan.  she was just talking about winter soltice & she says Happy Yule instead of xmas.  It's interesting. 

ever_grey
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I used to celebrate Yule/Solstice before I was married. My husband is a form of agnostic---he lost what little faith he had in any deity after some particularly traumatic events in his life. Now, I just light candles and incense and silently celebrate while, on the off chance, the in-laws do their own Christmas thing. For the last three years nothing has happened, not even gift exchanges. This year we're doing our very best to make sure the kids have a nice Christmas.

The husband and I co-exist very well. He doesn't snort at my beliefs and I do nothing to try and convert or involve him, unless he expresses he would like to participate.

matreshka
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I was raised Catholic -very strict catholic. I still celebrate xmas with the family and for the kids.  My DH used to be atheist but is becoming more of an agnostic. We have frequent talks about the universal energy that created thw big bang is perhaps what "god" or whatever name you want to give it is.  This same energy is within every piece of matter in the universe.

I have always kept my faith private for the most part.  I find the ritual aspect of European paganism to be very empowering and a connection to my roots, and my following of Buddhist teachings a great moral backbone.

Quoting ever_grey:

I used to celebrate Yule/Solstice before I was married. My husband is a form of agnostic---he lost what little faith he had in any deity after some particularly traumatic events in his life. Now, I just light candles and incense and silently celebrate while, on the off chance, the in-laws do their own Christmas thing. For the last three years nothing has happened, not even gift exchanges. This year we're doing our very best to make sure the kids have a nice Christmas.

The husband and I co-exist very well. He doesn't snort at my beliefs and I do nothing to try and convert or involve him, unless he expresses he would like to participate.

ever_grey
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I wasn't necessarily raised in any one way. My grandmother was Native American and followed a more spiritual calling while my grandfather (though not biological, but the man I loved as my grandfather and the only man I knew to fill those shoes) was a Baptist deacon prior to marriage. He was also a military man.

My husband and I discuss things very much in a similar manner. We're not major conversationalists and I'm terrible at verbal communication, but he and I can touch base on a subject and it will just explode into life.

I, too, have kept myself rather secluded, and find the rituals exactly the same. I have the heritage on one side of my family that is strong with The Great Spirit, another that is respectful to the Christian ways, and yet another that is more druidic due to my father's side of the family. He didn't practice that I know of (I don't know him very well and haven't heard from him in years), but tracing the family line back we discovered the deep connection in Scotland.

Quoting matreshka:

I was raised Catholic -very strict catholic. I still celebrate xmas with the family and for the kids.  My DH used to be atheist but is becoming more of an agnostic. We have frequent talks about the universal energy that created thw big bang is perhaps what "god" or whatever name you want to give it is.  This same energy is within every piece of matter in the universe.

I have always kept my faith private for the most part.  I find the ritual aspect of European paganism to be very empowering and a connection to my roots, and my following of Buddhist teachings a great moral backbone.

Quoting ever_grey:

matreshka
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

We have some similarities. Now that DH has our son, he has been trying to trace his Native roots farther, but it is hard as he only got back a few generations to rural Quebec.  I am half Irish and find Irish mythology, lore and ritual a connection to my grandfather, who while catholic, kept some of the old traditions alive, like many Irish people.  I am also half Polish and the same catholic-pagan blend happened on my mom's side.

Quoting ever_grey:

I wasn't necessarily raised in any one way. My grandmother was Native American and followed a more spiritual calling while my grandfather (though not biological, but the man I loved as my grandfather and the only man I knew to fill those shoes) was a Baptist deacon prior to marriage. He was also a military man.

My husband and I discuss things very much in a similar manner. We're not major conversationalists and I'm terrible at verbal communication, but he and I can touch base on a subject and it will just explode into life.

I, too, have kept myself rather secluded, and find the rituals exactly the same. I have the heritage on one side of my family that is strong with The Great Spirit, another that is respectful to the Christian ways, and yet another that is more druidic due to my father's side of the family. He didn't practice that I know of (I don't know him very well and haven't heard from him in years), but tracing the family line back we discovered the deep connection in Scotland.

Quoting matreshka:

Quoting ever_grey:

matreshka
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:58 PM
2 moms liked this

I wanted to add, my grandfather died when I was young and he has always been watching over me.  I feel he is like my guide in a way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)