Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

online counseling

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:15 AM
  • 12 Replies
Does anyone know of any free online counseling sites? I need to talk with someone asap but I dont have insurance to cover services.
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kim091069
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:30 AM

You can Google 'free online counseling and find some reputable counseling sites. You may also want to talk to your local health department. They are able to help in some cases. I wish you the best of luck. I have been in the same boat. I am here anytine you need to talk. Please free to ask me.

Quoting missourimommy81:

Does anyone know of any free online counseling sites? I need to talk with someone asap but I dont have insurance to cover services.

WitchyMom2
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Be careful with free online, I'm sure there are some good ones but I would be wary of them. I certainly do not have a degree but would listen.

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:08 AM

call 211 and see what type of assistance they have in your area for mental health. sometimes they offer free or reduced care. if you live near a university they also offer counseling at very reasonable prices through the students who are studying to be counselors. i have alot of friends who have utilized this. good luck.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:16 AM

I would be careful.  I see it just like online dating, you will never truly know who is on the other side.

Support groups are free and can be just as helpful as individual therapy.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:32 AM

We aren't counselors here, but we are always here to listen :-)

PandorasWorld
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 1:53 PM

i would personally ask that you be careful w/ online counseling. to me there is no such thing. no we don't have degrees or whatever, but since i've been on this site since november i have found some good posts and support. you'll never find the exact words that you may feel you need to hear. but at least there will be someone that will pop up w/ this same or close to the same moments that you are having. i would say never give up, but that phrase is so 20/20 in sight of trying to find people that will be there for you. i can really say just log on to the site and vent away.

Serenity7
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I would not trust on line counseling. Do you have a good friend you can talk to

elwalters77
by Erica on Dec. 29, 2012 at 9:14 PM

I don't, but I'd be interested in finding some

EponaMT
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Sorry, I don't know either. I'm kind of leery about online counseling because, as others have said, you don't really know who you're dealing with. If you're having a really tough time and need someone to talk with you might want to try a crisis line such as National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. A person doesn't have to be feeling suicidal to call.

kim091069
by on Dec. 30, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Sorry everyone feels I led you the wrong way with the online counseling. Of course like with anything you would need to do some checking but I have used some that were from Vanderbilt University online and they actually helped me fin help through my local health department. Last I heard there was a federal law stating that gives states federal money to help people with no insurance get mental health help. I never meant to make it sound as though you could trust all online counseling grous or that we would not be there to listen to you. I have been through heck and back and have found just having someone listen to me or keeping a journal to be a big help. Once again I apologoze for giving you anything that is wrong. There are some wonderful people in this group that can be very helpful and have received some great help just reading other people's advice. Talk to a friend you trust and this group and try 211 and your local health department. I hope you get to feeling better and can find some help.

embarrassed

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN