Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Caffine & depression/anxiety

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:49 PM
  • 8 Replies

Does it make it worse or better? I need it because I get so sleepy and want to be asleep all the time but I feel like it makes my anxiety worse. 

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
matreshka
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Caffeine definitely makes anxiety worse.  Nothing is really going to give you energy if you are tired.  Do you know what is making you so sleepy?  exercise, vitamins and eating right should help.

allthatjazz251
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I feel ya. I don't get the sleep I need and I need the caffeine, but it definitely raises the anxiety and thus shortens my temper. I make mine as weak as I can when I do have it. I've been drinking more caffeine free tea. Chamomile with vanilla creamer is SO good!

lyrick24
by Group Admin on Jan. 1, 2013 at 4:49 PM

caffeine does make my anxiety higher so i try to limit myself on it. i drink a half a cup of coffee at a time instead of drinking the whole cup. i hate when i get that jittery feeling.

Tracys2
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:14 PM

It can. 

It seems to make me happier (always, I seriously used it as a happy pill fo ryears) and more alert/capable, which so long as I don't go overboard, can help with my anxiety, but it depends on the reason for yours. Mine is mostly caused by my forgetting things, being tired and blah and generally not being up to all I should be, not by external issues like money, health, worries about kids.... so being "up" and alert helps me more than it hurts. But it totally can increase anxiety in most people.

Karla1948
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I also believe it can. I absolutely LOVE my morning coffee, and could easily drink it all day, but I make a point of it to cut it off by noon. I definately need it to get started in the morning, but being able to sleep well that evening is also very important. So important that I take Lunesta before going to bed.

Advertising Banner Designs - Only $9.00

elwalters77
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:33 PM
IDK. I drink about 2 caffeinated drinks a day. I guess I never thought about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nena70
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Coca cola  always make me feel better.

Karla1948
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:53 PM

For me, coffee is an almost automatic trigger to also have a cigarette. With the help of the E-Cig, I'm down from 30 "real" cigarettes a day to 25 a day, and my goal is 20 a day. Just one more reason to cut my coffee off at noon. And caffeinated drinks I don't do at all.

Advertising Banner Designs - Only $9.00

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)