Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Effexor and VIVID dreams

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:13 PM
  • 16 Replies

Hey ladies, I've been taking Effexor 150mgs for a couple months now. I'm pleased with the results. It's really leveled out my moods. But damn, I dream so vividly now. It's those dreams that seem like they go on all night. (even though they probably last 10 minutes in reality). They're not really nightmares. Then again I've always had messed up dreams so a nightmare to me is pretty normal. The thing I hate about it is I sleep right up until the alarm goes off (never did that before) and I wake up fresh from one of those LONG dreams. And dammit, I don't feel very rested in the mornings! It's almost as if I feel like I've not slept because I've been "up all night" in Wonderland (or wherever the hell my mind decides to take me). Does anyone else have the vivid dreaming with their meds? Just curious. (some of my dreams are pretty cool though, like movies).

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leahbeah143
by Leah on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:18 PM

my zoloft gave my extremely vivid dreams. Not bad or good dreams, they just seemed very real and were usually very random. I'd dream about people I hadn't thought about in 20 years. I also would wake up in cold soaking sweats a lot, and I very rarely slept through the night.

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:24 AM

i took effexor but i didnt have those dreams. some of the meds do cause you to do that though and effexor might cause that for you. as long as they are not bothersome i would keep taking it. if it gets to bad ask your dr to put you on something else.

Serenity7
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I have vivid dreams but not because of medications

quietmomma
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:16 AM

When I was on Cymbalta I had very strange and realistic dreams.  Very often I would wake up yelling or screaming because of them--like when I dreamed that someone was trying to abduct one of my children.  My poor dh would be shaking me to wake me up, and I wasn't always easy to wake from one of those dreams.

bugsmama149
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I definitely gonna keep taking it. I really am pleased with how it has balanced my moods out. I haven't fallen into the "abyss" for over a month now. Thank God. The dreams don't bother me much aside from feeling really tired in the morning.  I was just curious if anyone else experienced it. I sleeptalk now too. My poor hubby. He gets a bit of a kick out of it though.

Quoting lyrick24:

i took effexor but i didnt have those dreams. some of the meds do cause you to do that though and effexor might cause that for you. as long as they are not bothersome i would keep taking it. if it gets to bad ask your dr to put you on something else.

bugsmama149
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Oh me too. They just didn't feel like they lasted all night. I've had some dreams that I swear I could turn into a movie.  I used to be able to lucid dream before the effexor too. I miss that. alot.

Quoting Serenity7:

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I do and cymbalta has been especially hard for me.  It was at the point where I did not feel like I was sleeping, the dreams were always bad or nightmares and very stressful and when i woke up I had to tell myself I am at home its 2012-2013 and I am with my DH and my LO.  I am now weaning off of cymbalta and at 30 mg plus an extra klonopin that's been prescribed I am sleeping better.  I go on pristiq next week so I hope the vivid dreams dont start again.

I do beleive the same thing but to a lesser extent happened to me on effexor.

At that time I had a different doc, they put me on 2 other sleep meds, inderol to relax and ambien to selep and it did not help at all, in fact, the ambien made everything worse, sleep talking, sleep walking, sleep eating and sleep smoking.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:08 PM

That's pretty much what happened to me on effexor.  The dreams were so random but so vivid.

Quoting leahbeah143:

my zoloft gave my extremely vivid dreams. Not bad or good dreams, they just seemed very real and were usually very random. I'd dream about people I hadn't thought about in 20 years. I also would wake up in cold soaking sweats a lot, and I very rarely slept through the night.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Something my therapist suggested was trying to change the outcomes of the dreams for the positive or waking yourslef up during the dream, being knowlegeable that you are in a dream statre.  Since you mentioned luckid dreamning I though maybe that could help.

Quoting bugsmama149:

Oh me too. They just didn't feel like they lasted all night. I've had some dreams that I swear I could turn into a movie.  I used to be able to lucid dream before the effexor too. I miss that. alot.

Quoting Serenity7:

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Those are the worse.  How are your dreams now and are you on an anti-depressant?

Quoting quietmomma:

When I was on Cymbalta I had very strange and realistic dreams.  Very often I would wake up yelling or screaming because of them--like when I dreamed that someone was trying to abduct one of my children.  My poor dh would be shaking me to wake me up, and I wasn't always easy to wake from one of those dreams.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN