Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

seriously considering weaning myself off of meds

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

I am just a little scared to do it since I have been on meds for about 22 yrs now.  I have tried lots of different combos, some work better than others and some just leave me with a ton of side effects and not a lot of relief from my bipolar symptoms.  The ones I am currently on make me feel like a zombie and have made me gain weight, plus I am still moody, irritable and depressed while taking them.  I see a new doctor on the 28th of this month but I don't know if I want to wait til then to get off these yucky meds.  I am scared of getting worse and ending up hospitalized but I know myself enough that if I felt worse being off meds I would go back on them.  The only thing I worry about is that my new doctor won't want to treat me if he finds out I am not 100% med compliant.  I don't even want to tell my husband bc he is not supportive of me not being on meds.  I just know that right now I am barely functional and 2 1/2 wks seems like a long time to wait for some relief.  I've also been feeling more anxious lately, where I wake up anxious and go to bed anxious and the anti anxiety meds that are prescribed to me aren't really working.  I see my therapist next tues and I'm hoping she can give me ways of dealing with the anxiety bc right now it's eating me alive.  I don't want to live like this, it really sucks.  I just wish there was some kind of relief that didn't cause all sorts of crappy side effects and I'm afraid since I've been on meds so long I am running out of options.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:31 PM
2 moms liked this
I wouldn't do it before talking to new doc. I just wouldn't.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:52 PM

i wouldnt wean myself off of them until i seen my new dr. you may feel really bad if you do. tell him you dont think they are working for you and your anxiety is through the roof to see if he will put you on a higher dosage of an antianxiety. good luck.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:07 PM
There are many strong opinions on weaning yourself off meds. The important thing to keep in mind os wean slowly. Some meds cant be cut and u have to get a seperate script. Others' are have serious withdrawal side effects even when weaning under a docs care. There is reliable info online for taking yourself off meds but it is a big risk. You may end up in the hospital as I have from doing it. Other times I did it and felt better. It is a decision you should make a pros and cons list over and research and give a lot pf thought to
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:36 PM
I understand your frustration with taking meds, I've been taking different cocktails of meds for 24+ yrs, but I say DO NOT take yourself off it. At least wait until you see your new dr. I have very slowly weaned off of some onder drs care and still had horrible withdrawls. I know not every med is that bad to come off of, but some are. When you see the new dr, be really honest with him about just how crappy you DO feel, even while on these meds. There are so many meds out there, unfortunately you usually have to try a few different ones, sometimes you even have to try tons of them to find the right one, I know it sucks, but sometimes it's necessary. Good luck mama, hugs!
Ashleigh
thealmightybond
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about your struggle.  I'm facing the same thing right now.  My lithium doesn't feel like it's working any more, I also take ativan.  I had to stop ambien.  I've taken 40 other meds (seroquel, respiradal, depakote, klonopin, trazodone, all the SSRI's, etc) and I think I'm just very resistant to medication.  It sucks so much.  I hope you find some relief some how.  Good luck.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I would wait until you can see the doctor. hang in there!

pamk5641
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:42 PM

I totally understand what you are going through.  I have had absolutely no improvement in my depression with any meds and I have been on so many throughout the years.  I think sometimes I am worse when I am on them but afraid to not be on any at all. 

My doctor says that when the situation improves the depression will improve but I am not sure it will ever improve even when/if the situation improves. 

I hope you find some relief as well but please talk to your doc about how to wean off and what other options are available. 

Best of luck to you. Hang in there.

CLEKate
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Of course your doctor will question treating you.  A doctor doesn't want a patient that is not going to med compliant---it means they are going to be harder to deal with, harder to treat and impossible to work with.

I know it's tough, but please wait until you see your new doctor before going off the meds.  He/she should see you in your currently "drugged" state.  Let them evaluate you in this state---then you can work TOGETHER to plan how to proceed.

MrsImperfect
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 4:10 PM
I was on lexapro for 7 yrs for anxiety and depression. I gained 70lbs and a slew of other issues I didnt recognize until I weaned myself off of them. I feel so much better! I started taking the B vitamins and D vitamin to help combat depression and it really does work! I still have anxiety but no more depression!
MrsImperfect
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Shes right the withdrawal symptoms are horrible. I weaned myself and felt like I was coming off crack. Flu like symptoms bad body aches head aches mood swings sleeping constantly and more. And it lasted 6 weeks! Never again!!!!

Quoting ashleighmama:

I understand your frustration with taking meds, I've been taking different cocktails of meds for 24+ yrs, but I say DO NOT take yourself off it. At least wait until you see your new dr. I have very slowly weaned off of some onder drs care and still had horrible withdrawls. I know not every med is that bad to come off of, but some are. When you see the new dr, be really honest with him about just how crappy you DO feel, even while on these meds. There are so many meds out there, unfortunately you usually have to try a few different ones, sometimes you even have to try tons of them to find the right one, I know it sucks, but sometimes it's necessary. Good luck mama, hugs!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)