Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PADS - Post Adoption Depression Syndrome

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:34 PM
  • 3 Replies

Hi, I am pretty new here on CM, period...brand new to this forum. 

I have struggled my entire life with depression and anxiety...various issues, growing up in an alcoholic home, family history of thyroid issues, you name it...which came first, the chicken or the egg? Who knows? Thing is...I have had at least 3 major depressions in my life...I know how to manage my issues...I know better than to ignore them. I have been on medication for years now, have no intention of stopping(just seems that my brain requires help in producing the correct amount/balance of neuro chemicals) I finally figured out that stopping the medication was a surefire way to basically pull the rug out from under myself. 

Now, to the current situation...been doing really well for several years(relatively speaking)...and my hubby and I adopted two beautiful angels from foster care in November 2012...we adore them...but, the process leading up to those adoptions was intense...I was anticipating a "let down" when life started to take the form of the "new normal"...but, in some ways...this is more than a "let down".  Of course...it's nothing like the major depression I have experienced in the past, so I kind of feel silly even saying anything(if that makes sense...as in, how bad does it have to be to count? My personal confusion...) I am having difficulty concentrating...staying on task...I am not even particularly sad at the moment...overwhelmed in some ways...and at times, despondent, because it seems I will never get caught up on everything(for the record, those two angels are only 4 months apart in age, therefore...alot like having twin toddlers. We have had both since birth...so, I have already done the first year with twins(essentially)...) I just seem to be having a harder time with focus and energy...SO, question is...should I talk to my doctor about my meds? Or, given that we have had the same dose for years and it works for me...should I just work on processing all of this from a "journaling/processing/walking it out" angle? I am having a hard time deciding if my current state of mind is just a normal part of the process with this sort of situation...or if it warrants further attention?  Thanks for reading!

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
lyrick24
by Group Admin on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:38 PM

i would start journaling and also see a therapist and see what they think you should do. whether you need a med change or not.

elwalters77
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:49 PM

First of all, congratulations! I agree with lyrick. Start a journal and talk to a therapist.

MamaAgainx2
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Thank you both, Ladies...that sounds like a good place to start!

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something I can do.

~ Edward Everett Hale

http://amiraculousmess.blogspot.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)