Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Please tell me...

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:20 PM
  • 17 Replies

I'm having a hard time with this. I have MULTIPLE scary symptoms that are a range of anything from brain tumor to MS to fibromyalgia, etc. These symptoms could be symptoms of just about anything. And there's a pattern to them...they've been happening off and on for the past 3+ or so years now. I have gotten an MRI done 3 years ago and they say it shows up clean (other than a "change in white matter in right frontal lobe", which the doc said is really nothing). Extreme stress seems to make my symptoms worse...that's when these symptoms mostly pop up. However, sometimes even when I am not stressed, I will have bouts of the symtoms, randomly through the year. These bouts can last anywhere from a couple weeks to a couple months at a time. 

My doctor is convinced that this is just stress, depression, and anxiety issues. I can't help but feel that it could be something far more serious. Could stress, depression/anxiety REALLY cause such horrible symptoms?? 

Here's a list of the most troublesome: 

--head pain on left side of head

--constant dizziness

--tinnitus/ringing ears, mostly left side

--vision issues/changes

--the entire right side of my body goes numb and tingly

--my right arm and leg feel sore/bruised and get weak/tired much quicker

--fatigued

--anxiety attacks

--pain in left breast

--feeling like I'm not getting enough oxygen

And there are even more symptoms than just these. These are the ones I deal with every day and are the most annoying for me. 

Have any of you EVER experienced things like this with extreme stress or depression or anxiety??

by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
susan92
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:27 PM

hun thats MS a lot ofppl in my family has it the thing i can tell ya is stay active BUT dont over due it

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:38 PM

i have experienced something like that. i couldnt hold my head up for a year and had to wear a neck brace. it felt like there was a fifty pound wt. on my neck. i went to every dr under the sun and then had every test including mri's done on me. they finally put me on something for depression and anxiety and it got better and i havent had a probem since. so yes stress can cause things like that to happen.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:49 PM

my panic attacks can cause symptoms like that

Meg_the_Mermaid
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:12 PM

No one in my family has MS...so my doctor doesn't really think it's an issue to test for it, even though she did tell me that my symptoms sound like MS (but she named off other diseases it could be also). I did have a lumbar puncture about two or so years ago when I was having these same issues...but they told me they were basically testing for meningitis...they didn't mention MS. I don't EVER want to go through another lumbar puncture again, it was absolutely horrible (I had to go back twice after to get blood patches...omg, just horrible...and I have a high tolerance for pain!). 

ugh, I'm scared. I know I shouldn't be freaking out. 

Quoting susan92:

hun thats MS a lot ofppl in my family has it the thing i can tell ya is stay active BUT dont over due it

susan92
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:15 PM

well i pray it nothin bad and that everything gets better :)

Meg_the_Mermaid
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Yeah and that too...I have incredible tension in my neck and shoulders and the entire right side of my body. Sometimes I have to lay down to give my tired neck a rest. 

My doc did prescribe Celexa for me, but I haven't taken it yet. That was like two weeks ago, but I'm still super nervous about taking it, so the pills are just sitting here. 

Quoting lyrick24:

i have experienced something like that. i couldnt hold my head up for a year and had to wear a neck brace. it felt like there was a fifty pound wt. on my neck. i went to every dr under the sun and then had every test including mri's done on me. they finally put me on something for depression and anxiety and it got better and i havent had a probem since. so yes stress can cause things like that to happen.

thealmightybond
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:27 PM

My aunt has MS and that sounds a lot like it, although obviously I can't say it is for sure.  No one in my family has MS but her, though, so don't let your doctor rule it out right away.  In my opinion, you'd need to be on a lot more than just celexa if stress and anxiety were indeed the only thing causing these symptoms.  I take a lot of psych meds because of different disorders, and I don't have any of the physical symptoms you have.  I'm not saying it's not because of stress and anxiety, but my personal opinion is you definitely need to keep looking for answers because it really sounds like something more serious.  And celexa by itself would never knock out what you're dealing with...it's not a very strong medication AT ALL.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

thealmightybond
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Also, my aunt apparently had MS for years before she was diagnosed with it and she said during the years before she got diagnosed, she said people would always ask why in pictures a certain side of her body was always droopy...like why her arm would hang a certain way.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Serenity7
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Yes stress can cause many physical problems

icn_mom
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:12 PM

what I would do in your shoes: wait for another "flare up" of these symptoms, like when they are at their worst and go to the emercency room.. where we are with a list of symptoms like those they will do mri or CT.. some things cannot be truly diagnosed until they are flared up. I know that anxiety and depression can present themselves with symptoms of serious disorders, because during these times our bodies are on "defense" mode, and tighten up, and with an anxiety attack, your NOT getting enough oxygen when your breathing patterns change drastically, and can most deffinatly cause you to become light headed with chest pain... good luck and try to relax :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)