Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Atypical Depression? Info on it, and share your experience

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:25 PM
  • 23 Replies

Poll

Question: Does this sound like you?

Options:

Oh wow, yes! Definitely or mostly

Somewhat, but not 100% convinced

Not really. My depression is more typical

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 17

View Results

I wonder how many of us have it? If you do, what are your feelings about the below and how your diagnosis has affected your treatment? I'd be particularly interested in if you can maintain normal relationships and if so, if you felt better during those times. I looked for books/info specifically on this and came up empty.

I am convinced I am atypical, because I have ALL the symptoms! I have described how it feels I'm covered with lead before I even read it, I know when I spend time around people I feel like me, I am happy for days whereas when I hear I'm annoying I go way down, I sleep and eat more, and I am unbelievably over-sensitive and fear rejection.

Here is some info, if you've never heard about it:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/depression/understanding-atypical-depression.aspx (info below fom here)

http://www.survivingdepression.net/types/atypical.html

Atypical depression can be overwhelming, both physically and mentally. Unlike other types of depression, people with atypical depression can be briefly cheered up by positive events, but they overreact to negative events. A severe depression can be triggered by any feeling of rejection from a friend, boss, or loved one.

Symptoms of atypical depression include:

• Increased appetite. Unlike other types of depression in which people may lose interest in food, if you have atypical depression you may have a craving for comfort foods. Weight gain is a common sign.
  • Increased sleep. Unlike other types of depression in which people have trouble getting enough sleep, people with atypical depression feel like sleeping all the time.
  • Leaden paralysis. This term refers to a sense of heaviness in the arms and legs that people with atypical depression experience. They may feel extremely tired, as though their physical movements have slowed down.
  • Overly sensitive. People with this type of depression tend to have a personality trait of increased sensitivity. They may expect that other people will not like them or not approve of their behavior.

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
flowrsgalore
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I did not go to the sites & read any more than what you included here.  I would not say my appetite increases really during my depressed times. It's more of a lack of desire to bother with the prep work involved w/ eating a more healthy diet.  So I'd say I get lazy & eat more processed type foods when I'm depressed.

Increased sleep simply never happens,  depressed or not.

Leadened paralysis definitely happens.  I have said so many times "I feel like I'm trying to move through mud"  Like even the slightest forward movement on any project, chore is just about to kill me because it's so difficult.

Definitely over sensitive here.  If I feel like in my mind I put a lot of effort forward &  nobody appreciates it, I get overly bent out of shape.   

Tracys2
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Interesting- I totally agree that parents seldom get extra sleep. But if I ever do, I can definitely do it. When I was 20 and in college, there were a few days in a row I had trouble staying awake for 4 hours a day- whenever I was in a strange place and stressed!

Thanks so much for sharing. The effort of moving through mud is definitely right for me. When I get a break from depression, I run around thinking "Wow, this is SO easy, I can't believe how easy it is to do things today, it's like I can fly!"

Quoting flowrsgalore:

I did not go to the sites & read any more than what you included here.  I would not say my appetite increases really during my depressed times. It's more of a lack of desire to bother with the prep work involved w/ eating a more healthy diet.  So I'd say I get lazy & eat more processed type foods when I'm depressed.

Increased sleep simply never happens,  depressed or not.

Leadened paralysis definitely happens.  I have said so many times "I feel like I'm trying to move through mud"  Like even the slightest forward movement on any project, chore is just about to kill me because it's so difficult.

Definitely over sensitive here.  If I feel like in my mind I put a lot of effort forward &  nobody appreciates it, I get overly bent out of shape.   

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:41 PM

i think  i am atypical. especially with the increased sleep and moving through mud. i get so tired when i attemp to do things. i even had a problem holding my head up for nine months and was in a neck brace.

Tracys2
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 4:50 PM

That makes sense. I thought it was interesting that atypicalness can affect unipolar or bipolar depression. 

Quoting lyrick24:

i think  i am atypical. especially with the increased sleep and moving through mud. i get so tired when i attemp to do things. i even had a problem holding my head up for nine months and was in a neck brace.

Serenity7
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2013 at 5:29 PM

No I have Major Depression

Tracys2
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Cool, I would think most of us wouldn't have atypical, but it's neat that some here do! Thanks for sharirng

deltathree
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:59 AM

hmmm...interesting -somewhat have those things.

hollydaze1974
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Other Internet can be a great tool or it can panic the life out of you. Regardless, a dr can help, and it would be the same medications.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sunangel803
by Angela on Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I think I have atypical depression and a past psychiatrist mentioned it before as well. I eat more when depressed - especially sugary or carb loaded foods. Sleep has always been an escape for me - I almost always feel tired and weighed down as well. I am extremely sensitive, especially to perceived rejection. A compliment can make my day, but any rejection, criticism, etc, can cause my mood to spiral down, sometimes for days. I'm better than I used to be, but it takes a LOT of positive self talk to not let it get out of control.
elwalters77
by Erica on Jan. 21, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Don't think this describes me, but I am definitely over sensitive!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN