Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Anybody have exsperience with Celexa?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:46 PM
  • 20 Replies

Hello, I'm new to the group so I guess I should introduce myself. I'm Melissa a stay at home mom in Northern California. My kids are 7 and 14, I'm 33. Married for only a year but we've been together for 9 years.

Anyways, I've had depression pretty much all my life. I've tried many different meds but never stuck with anything because I always forgot to take them anyways. Finally at age 33 I'm just tired of feeling like this. Tired of feeling angry or sad for no reason, tired of yelling at my kids, just tired of it all. I had a major depression breakdown and I actually called the doctor myself. It took me about 3 months to finally drag myself in there. They put me on Celexa. I've only been on it for maybe 4 days day, so I don't notice to much, except maybe, just maybe I don't feel as miserable as usual, maybe even slightly happy for no reason at all. Then again maybe it's just in my head, lol. Anyways, I'm just wondering if anyone else used this and what was the pros and cons about it?

Oh and I am soon going to start seeing a psychologist. I'm hoping this will help also. I just want to feel normal again. This time I'm hopeful :)

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:57 AM

i took celexa for a couple of years and it worked well. i have recently been changed to lexapro, the sister drug to celexa because i think it fizzled out on me. im going through the same thing  you are going through. ive only been on lexapro for a few days and i dont think it has kicked in all the way yet although i do find myself laughing sometimes which i wasnt doing at all. give it some more time to take effect. welcome to the group. my name is melissa also.

bribabyfever7
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:09 AM
I took it and it gave me a racing palpating heartbeat and didnt help me at all.

Anyone else experience this too?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:20 AM

It made me go manic and often when I am manic my heart races.

Quoting bribabyfever7:

bribabyfever7
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Really? thats interesting. I hated it yugh

Quoting matreshka:

It made me go manic and often when I am manic my heart races.

Quoting bribabyfever7:

AkashaGermaine
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:07 PM
I took it while I was pregnant. It totally killed my sex drive.
sue9607
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Hi Melissa, I'm Sue... I live in Toronto ON and I'm a mom of 2 kids, 16 and 5 year old boys.  I have been on Celexa for a long time now, and have found it to be quite good for my depression.  Alcohol completely contradicts this drug, so if I drink, my depression gets really bad.  You really need to give Celexa a good 3 months to be effective, and I take mine right before I go to bed every night so that I don't forget!  I also take a few other mood stablizers and anti anxiety meds, and I don't like taking them, but like you, I get sick of being so down, so I've stuck with it.  I still have my down times, going thru one now that I have moved to a new city, but never as down as I was when I was on nothing.  Every person reacts differently to different drugs, but I really hope this one works for you as well as it worked for me.  I am currently on 60mg, that is the max., good luck to you and I hope this helped!  :)  Stay positive!  If it doesn't work out, don't give up, just try something new, I went through alot before I found what worked for me, but it's worth it, I promise!x

melissa916
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I've tried Lexapro before and I didn't notice anything. Maybe it was because I never really gave it a chance. Did you have any bad side effects while on it? I was on paxil and that completely ruined my sex drive so I quit it. My husband is hoping this one doesn't have the same effect. Also, did you notice any weight loss or gain? I'm ok with the loss but not the gain lol!

Oh and nice to meet you :)

Quoting lyrick24:

i took celexa for a couple of years and it worked well. i have recently been changed to lexapro, the sister drug to celexa because i think it fizzled out on me. im going through the same thing  you are going through. ive only been on lexapro for a few days and i dont think it has kicked in all the way yet although i do find myself laughing sometimes which i wasnt doing at all. give it some more time to take effect. welcome to the group. my name is melissa also.

melissa916
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:34 PM

So you only took it while pregnant? For the whole 9 nine months? We are thinking of having another baby but I'm not sure if I could be taking anything while pregnant. And I so don't want it to kill my sex drive. That is one of my main worries :/

Quoting AkashaGermaine:

I took it while I was pregnant. It totally killed my sex drive.

sweetmissy_05
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I have been on Celexa for about 5 years and I have to say, I can't function without it.  If I don't take it the same time every morning then I can tell how my moods and attitude gets....I even pick fights with my husband and other people.  I don't have any side effects from it.  Never really have.  It works great for me.

Tatiana7
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Hello! I've been taking celexa for 5 years. It's been very helpful for me. I use it to treat panic attacks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)