Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Trying Not to Cut

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:05 AM
  • 9 Replies

I am in my mid-30's.  About a year ago, I started cutting my own skin.  I don't even know why.  I just was feeling so hopeless and kept having an incredible urge to cut myself.  So, one day I did.  I wish I never had because now I feel almost addicted to it.  When I do it I feel better...for a little while.  And then I feel guilty and ridiculous that I am a grown woman with children with scars all over her legs and arms.  

I am working with a therapist to try to get a handle on all this.  And today it has been 28 days since I've last cut, which is a huge deal as there was a point in time I was hoping to get through 1 day!  But today is hard, hard, hard.  I am doing all I can to not cut myself today, but the urge is sooo strong I don't know if I can hold out.  Anyone else dealing with this? Any sure fire ways to avoid the urge? And truly, I struggle with trying to figure out why it is bad.  Any clear reasons why it is bad to cut yourself?

Just to be clear-I am not suicidal in anyway.  This is completely different than being suicidal.

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
leahbeah143
by Leah on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:25 PM

hugs! try to distract yourself

Serenity7
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:40 PM

((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:05 PM

its good that you are in therapy. get your mind on something else besides cutting. can you exercise or take a walk? i am so proud of you for not cutting in 28 days. you can do this momma. hang in there.

ZakkarysMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Find something to distract yourself. Cleaning, exercising, playing with your kids. I used to cut alot. I felt so numb that it was the only way i could make myself feel something and to cry. Journaling helps too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:47 PM
I don't know the words to help you when I'm in the same situation. I've been cutting for about 10 years and I am also in my 30's. Just the other day I cut myself once in the morning then again at night. Instead of my dh showing support he just told me to grow up. So I cut my hair. At least you're in therapy. I don't find the motivation to seek help.
clippingmom
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:51 PM

does is help if you cut something else? or is it the feeling you get when you do it to yourself? I wish I had an answer for you but I have never been there. Maybe you could write out the feeling you release when you do it. and then cut up the paper? sorry I am probably not much help.

{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} make it to day 29!!!!

svannie
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Clippingmom...yes, it is the feeling of when I do it to myself.  However, you reminded me that there is something quite satisfying about cutting through the thick skin of an orange with a dull knife that works for me a little bit.  I'm thinking oranges for afternoon snack!  Thank you for reminding me of that!

I really, really want to make it through the whole month!

svannie
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:02 PM

and Anonymous...If you ever want to talk about this more, feel free to send me a message.  It is hard to be in it alone, I know.

Iamlegion
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I am also working with my psychiatrist and my therapist on this.  My psychiatrist has me on an antipsychotic now which helps curbs the mania that leads me to self harm and my therapist has even gone so far as to hyponotize me!

Now, my therapist has told me to do things that will absorb my interest like pick up a book or turn on a movie when the urge hits.  

My problem is that the urge is so spontaneous and so deep that sometimes I keep obsessing about it until it's done, ya know?

But, I am trying- all I can do.  

Almost made it two weeks so far- which is about as far as I have made it generally in the past few months.  I think this new med has really kicked in this time, tho, because I find myself not as attracted to the idea as much, and that's a good sign.

Oh, I am 40, btw (figured since everyone else is throwing their age out there I would, too-lol)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)