Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Antidepressants are bad for you?

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:04 PM
  • 23 Replies

I was talking to a friend yesterday and I mentioned that I have been on Prozac but my prescription has run out and I really need to get back on it bc I am starting to feel very depressed, and irritable. She said I should stay off of it bc those drugs are dangerous. She said I should depend on God and he will fix it. What do you think of that? What do you say to people that say that?

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ZakkarysMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:05 PM
2 moms liked this
I would not be able to function without my meds. There are side effects to all meds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rockstar9936
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:11 PM
I Don't know about depending on God to fix your depression . If the meds work for you and you don't have any side effects that bother you , stay on them. I stopped taking mine because I don't feel like me when I'm on them. I'm happy and not mad all the time but I'm just not me. And on the days I would forget to take it I was even worse than before I started the meds.
pce68
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I only stopped bc I ran out of money. Hopefully I will be able to go back to the dr soon and get a new prescription. I don't believe God will fix my depression and anxiety, no matter how much I pray, or how much faith I have.

Tracys2
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:18 PM

God provides healing in different ways. If you are happy with Prozac, get back on it (it costs nothing!) and thank God that He has inspired people to help heal us. Prayer definitely helps me with my depression, but my pastor was the one who pushed hardest for me to get medication. For many of us, we can go off medication when we've resolved issues, changed the way we think and our lifestyles. Depression can make it really difficult to connect with God, so taking a medication can actually help with you spiritual life as well.

pce68
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:21 PM

i can afford the prescription. It's $4 at Kroger but I need to see the dr before he will write me a new prescription and I don't have the money for that just yet.

Quoting Tracys2:

God provides healing in different ways. If you are happy with Prozac, get back on it (it costs nothing!) and thank God that He has inspired people to help heal us. Prayer definitely helps me with my depression, but my pastor was the one who pushed hardest for me to get medication. For many of us, we can go off medication when we've resolved issues, changed the way we think and our lifestyles. Depression can make it really difficult to connect with God, so taking a medication can actually help with you spiritual life as well.

Serenity7
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:29 PM

No one has ever said that to me but if they did. I would say my medication keeps from from going into a deep depression

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

i believe god also works through medicines. there are other meds like blood pressure meds that nobody ever questions. she just doesnt understand.

sweetmissy_05
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:15 PM

I am on Celexa and couldn't function without it...I don't really have side effects from it.

ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Half the time I can barely function WITH my meds. I will stick with my meds and she can stick to her faith. To each their own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deltathree
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:03 PM

OY!  Nothing wrong with prayer, but if its chemical dep. - you need meds.  Would she say that about cancer, heart probs, diabetes, pneumonia, etc?  No, she would take the meds for it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)