Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

if i am honest with therapist, will i be reported to CPS?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies

I have not physically abused my 18 m old but I have yelled and cursed.

I have gone to the bathroom to yell and scream while he was in s safe place so that I could get my amnger out and my violent thoughts out and not act on anythinh else.but he has heard me and he cried

i have used to f word around him when i reach a high level of anger.

I am seeing my therapist on tue but i am wondering if i can be honest.

i hope that w the meds that i used to take and with therapy, i can get back on track.

i have also relapsed on an eating disorder and that has altered my mood.

i love my son and i feel really bad for the yelling

i also found a family center near home but i am afriad that if i am being honest, they can report me to cps

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anotherandree
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:52 AM
2 moms liked this

I was a therapist that working at an inpatient and an outpatient clinic and if you would have told me those thing I would not have found cause to report you for these reasons: 1) you out your son in a safe place before you expressed your anger appropriately.  2) People swear around their children. It may not be something that should be encouraged, but it is NOT something that CPS would be called for.  3) You are in seeking treatment for your disorder and may need a higher level of care, but unless your ED is making you neglect your child, that would not be reason to call CPS.

I would like to say that I admire your courage to ADMIT that you have relapsed.  Most people cling to that denial stage with all their might.  I would encourage you to come clean with your therapist, even thought it will be scary once you are in the room with her/him.  ED can kill you and it is best to get the help you need NOW while he is young, than be gone from him forever.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Would spanking be cause?

Quoting anotherandree:

I was a therapist that working at an inpatient and an outpatient clinic and if you would have told me those thing I would not have found cause to report you for these reasons: 1) you out your son in a safe place before you expressed your anger appropriately.  2) People swear around their children. It may not be something that should be encouraged, but it is NOT something that CPS would be called for.  3) You are in seeking treatment for your disorder and may need a higher level of care, but unless your ED is making you neglect your child, that would not be reason to call CPS.

I would like to say that I admire your courage to ADMIT that you have relapsed.  Most people cling to that denial stage with all their might.  I would encourage you to come clean with your therapist, even thought it will be scary once you are in the room with her/him.  ED can kill you and it is best to get the help you need NOW while he is young, than be gone from him forever.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:57 AM

hes quite well taken care of but i know i need to be healthy and free from ed

Quoting anotherandree:

anotherandree
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Not likely, but she might ask for further verification about your mood when you did it and if it could escalate (indicating that if it happened again, could the child be in danger).  It really sounds like the things that you are experiencing are awful, but you are cognitively aware to keep your child safe.  I know that I am only getting some of the picture, but if I were your therapist, I would get more information and talk about a plan to keep your child safe during your anger episodes.  However, nothing you have mentioned today has raised any red flags for me and nothing that I would be calling CPS for (again based on the information presented).  

Many times, therapsits can work with you to get a "coping tool box" ready for when a crisis hits or your emotions escalate.  It should be a list of 2-3 things that you can do to distract, calm, and/or be mindful of the present situation until the intense wave of emotion passes.

Quoting Anonymous:

Would spanking be cause?

Quoting anotherandree:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:08 AM

i am 100 % cognitively aware..just unable to get back on track on my loving nature and the selfesteem that i was able to rebuild

Quoting anotherandree:

Not likely, but she might ask for further verification about your mood when you did it and if it could escalate (indicating that if it happened again, could the child be in danger).  It really sounds like the things that you are experiencing are awful, but you are cognitively aware to keep your child safe.  I know that I am only getting some of the picture, but if I were your therapist, I would get more information and talk about a plan to keep your child safe during your anger episodes.  However, nothing you have mentioned today has raised any red flags for me and nothing that I would be calling CPS for (again based on the information presented).  

Many times, therapsits can work with you to get a "coping tool box" ready for when a crisis hits or your emotions escalate.  It should be a list of 2-3 things that you can do to distract, calm, and/or be mindful of the present situation until the intense wave of emotion passes.

Quoting Anonymous:

Would spanking be cause?

Quoting anotherandree:

ZakkarysMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:11 AM
How far has the spanking gone? Have you left bruises? I would say if there are no bruises you should be ok. Try to be as honest as you can. You need to talk through that and get it out. Otherwise the guilt will eat at you. I know how that is.

Quoting Anonymous:

Would spanking be cause?

Quoting anotherandree:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:12 AM

my post didn't mention spanking. one of the responses did but it is not from thr OP.

please do not misinterpret things or add info that I didnt post.

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

How far has the spanking gone? Have you left bruises? I would say if there are no bruises you should be ok. Try to be as honest as you can. You need to talk through that and get it out. Otherwise the guilt will eat at you. I know how that is.

Quoting Anonymous:

Would spanking be cause?

Quoting anotherandree:

anotherandree
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Tell her what you just said.  

I can imagine that your anger is like one addiction and your ED is another.  Neither one you want, but both are just second nature and things you almost can't help.  Conpulsions, if you will.  Addictions are dangerous things and tricky.  They are bigger than will power alone.  In fact, if you keep thinking, "I can be stronger than this," you will just feel guilt and shame every thing you "give in."  It's not something that you can arm wrestle to the ground.  Get help. The words "there is something I have to come clean about" are the hardest and most freeing words ever created.  At Rosewood, we had a saying: Secrets keep you sick.  Can you see why that's true?

Quoting Anonymous:

i am 100 % cognitively aware..just unable to get back on track on my loving nature and the selfesteem that i was able to rebuild

Quoting anotherandree:

Quoting Anonymous:

Would spanking be cause?

Quoting anotherandree:

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:52 AM

are you yelling at your baby? if you are just yelling in another room then you are just trying to get your frustrations out. dont tell them you are yelling at him. but you can tell them that you are angry and you need something to control your agitation and anger. its good that you are seeking help and trying to get back on the right track. it shouldnt take too long for you to feel like yourself again. good luck.

Meg2011425
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:58 AM
I've yelled in another room and I have locked myself somewhere where I could cry. CPS will not do anything about that. They investigate usually for neglect and abuse. I'm dealing with them now because of my ex husband made a false report. I understand. But you are getting help and acknowledging it so I wouldn't beat yourself up over it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)