Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Hi, I'm new

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:30 AM
  • 8 Replies

Hi, I'm new to this group. I'm currently struggling with the end portion of postpartum depression. My daughter is almost 15 months old, but my husband deployed from when she was 2 1/2 weeks old until she was 9 months old. We had just moved cross-country, so I knew no one and had no support from any military spouse groups in the area or anything. I had very severe postpartum depression for the first 4 or 5 months, then started to very slowly improve. Every month I get a little bit better, but it's been a devastatingly slow recovery. I still struggle a LOT with fatigue, even though my daughter sleeps about 12 hours per night. I wake up and feel like I haven't slept. I've been tested for iron levels, vitamin D levels, thyroid, etc. but they're all normal. So it's just PPD. I've started going to a counselor, but it hasn't made a large impact yet.

Anyways, I just wanted to say hi and I look forward to getting to know you ladies.

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:43 AM
It will get better I'm new to.
ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:19 AM
Hi and welcome to the group! This is a very caring, supportive group. I had BAD PPD too after my 2nd son was born, hes now 8 1/2. Ive always had depression, but wow, PPD was WAY worse. It took me a good 2 years to get back to normal, well, not normal, but functioning better. I was hospitalized 9 times in the 1st 2 yrs of his life. You mentined counseling, but are you on any meds for it? There ARE some out there that DO help. Since the PPD has lasted for so long, I would look into getting on something, it doesnt have to be forever, its worth a try. Hang in there mama, it DOES get better. Hugs!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katinahat
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:46 AM

I thought about trying meds, but I'm breastfeeding her, so my doctor said that there weren't any meds that I'm able to take. And breastfeeding my daughter is one of my primary accomplishments-- it's something that even in the deepest parts of my depression, I was able to keep up and give to her, so it's not something that I'm willing to stop yet. They referred me to a psychologist instead, so I've been meeting with him.

Quoting ashleighmama:

Hi and welcome to the group! This is a very caring, supportive group. I had BAD PPD too after my 2nd son was born, hes now 8 1/2. Ive always had depression, but wow, PPD was WAY worse. It took me a good 2 years to get back to normal, well, not normal, but functioning better. I was hospitalized 9 times in the 1st 2 yrs of his life. You mentined counseling, but are you on any meds for it? There ARE some out there that DO help. Since the PPD has lasted for so long, I would look into getting on something, it doesnt have to be forever, its worth a try. Hang in there mama, it DOES get better. Hugs!

rhodaj
by rho on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Hi,I'm Rho and welcome to the group. You are going to find a lot of people in this group that is going through or has gone through the same thing as you and we will all try and help you make it through it

Hugs

teal.blaze
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:44 AM

I breastfeeding and took Zoloft. The lowest dose is generally considered safe, as such a small amount would be passing through your milk. I pumped exclusively, but that was such a big accomplishment for me, so I know how you feel. I would maybe ask your doc about it.

Quoting katinahat:

I thought about trying meds, but I'm breastfeeding her, so my doctor said that there weren't any meds that I'm able to take. And breastfeeding my daughter is one of my primary accomplishments-- it's something that even in the deepest parts of my depression, I was able to keep up and give to her, so it's not something that I'm willing to stop yet. They referred me to a psychologist instead, so I've been meeting with him.

Quoting ashleighmama:

ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:19 AM
Hmmm, I took Paxil my entire 2nd pregnancy and he was born 8 weeks early, so he couldnt nurse. but I DID pump for him for about 5 weeks, then I was hospitalized for the 1st of many times, so the pumping stopped. My psychiatrist, ob/gyn and the drs and nurses in the NICU all knew I was taking Paxil and they said it was fine. Ive heard its only the SSRIs that are considered safe during pregnancy and nursing. These would be a: Paxil and Zoloft. Well, those are the main ones used if preggo or nursing. Idk, just a thought. If you can manage without meds thats great and obviously the best way to go right now, but I would have been dead, like literally, without them.

Quoting katinahat:

Quoting ashleighmama:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:33 AM

welcome to the group. im glad you are improving. it must have been awful hard on you going through that with your husband deployed. im glad hes back now.

Serenity7
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Welcome to the group

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)