Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Another Hospital closes its psych floor. This is a letter written from the hospital

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:25 AM
rho
  • 25 Replies

Behavioral Health Letter

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Jan 28, 2013

Cindy Hickey, 330-489-1212
cindy.hickey@cantonmercy.org

January 28, 2013

Dear Community:

Like all hospitals across the nation, Mercy Medical Center must prepare itself to meet the demands of the new national health care environment. We evaluated how best to steward resources according to our mission to best serve the needs of the community. A critical part of that effort was a careful review of under-utilized services to determine if patient needs could be met at other existing community facilities, and resources could then be used to enhance Mercy’s core services. 

As a result of this review, the decision has been made to discontinue Mercy’s inpatient behavioral health services (psychiatric care unit on 5B) effective February 15, 2013.

Mercy’s mission guides it to ensure that community needs are met, and also to focus services where it can deliver the best care most efficiently. Mercy’s review of behavioral health services determined that adequate capacity exists in the community for adult inpatient behavioral health services. Patients will be ably served by other inpatient units in Stark and Summit Counties.

With the advancement of medications and outpatient therapies in behavioral health care, great effort is now being made to care for patients without hospitalizing them. As a hospital, we have experienced that trend and must readjust our care model. We believe we can better serve the community by concentrating resources in other areas.

Mercy’s Emergency Department will continue to triage patients with behavioral health emergencies. After they are stabilized, patients who require hospitalization for behavioral health services will be transferred to the most appropriate facility. Mercy will continue to provide psychiatric consult services to hospitalized patients when requested.

It is difficult to make changes like this and we recognize their impact. Some of the affected employees will be able to apply for other openings at Mercy, and hopefully will remain employed at the Medical Center. We are very proud of the long legacy of Mercy’s patient care in behavioral health and recognize the contributions of those caregivers and support staff.

This action will help Mercy re-deploy resources to further advance patient care in other areas and to further advance processes for quality and patient satisfaction initiatives, which are essential in the new environment that is part of health care reform. It will also allow plans for a new use for the 5B area to fill other critical space needs for the hospital.

Sincerely,

Thomas E. Cecconi
President & CE0

This is bad for a lot of us in Stark County because this is were are insurance pays for

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rhodaj
by rho on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:28 AM

I am one that this is going to hurt. 1 My insurance is for Mercy Medical Center.

2 The other hospitals psych floor I refuse to go to. All they do is keep you drugged up and at of there way.

ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:52 AM
4 moms liked this
Oh, wow, that sucks, the hospital ward closure AND that it affects you. It seems psych hospitals/psych units shouldnt be closing down, it seems they should be improving the care and expanding, possibly even making MORE, NOT less! It seems like society in general is going downhill, society just seems more effed up than ever before. People going off the deep end shooting up schools and malls, the unemployment rate is destroying people, too many examples to list here. It seems there are way more mentally ill people these days for whatever reason. They should be ADDING funding/resources for mental hospitals, NOT shutting them down. Messed up world we live in :-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:31 AM

so sad.

Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:06 AM
2 moms liked this

It's because of obamacare. No one can afford him.

Quoting ashleighmama:

Oh, wow, that sucks, the hospital ward closure AND that it affects you. It seems psych hospitals/psych units shouldnt be closing down, it seems they should be improving the care and expanding, possibly even making MORE, NOT less! It seems like society in general is going downhill, society just seems more effed up than ever before. People going off the deep end shooting up schools and malls, the unemployment rate is destroying people, too many examples to list here. It seems there are way more mentally ill people these days for whatever reason. They should be ADDING funding/resources for mental hospitals, NOT shutting them down. Messed up world we live in :-(

ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:22 AM
2 moms liked this
Yep, thats why I didnt vote for the asshole. He is slowly, well, maybe not so slowly, but he is destroying the American people, its very sad :-(

Quoting Kathy489:

Quoting ashleighmama:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:29 AM
2 moms liked this

AMEN! I didn't vote for him, either. (exact same choice of wording: asshole!)

Unfortunately, Many of the very people who need this kind of care and other medical care probably did. They just weren't educated enough to know what they voted themselves into.

Quoting ashleighmama:

Yep, thats why I didnt vote for the asshole. He is slowly, well, maybe not so slowly, but he is destroying the American people, its very sad :-(

Quoting Kathy489:

Quoting ashleighmama:

Neuro
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:35 AM
1 mom liked this

A lot of medical practitioners are having to close their doors or find other areas of work. The taxes being levied on those guys are unreal, medical equipment expenses are skyrocketing due to the new taxes levied by the ACA and a lot of the costs are inevitably having to be passed down to the patients if they don't qualify for medicaid. "Not a tax" my ass, just read the actual bill and you'll see that there are a staggering amount of taxes included in this. There's no such thing as "free healthcare", come on now...

rhodaj
by rho on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

This has nothing to do with Obamacare. They was talking about shuting it down 8 years ago. It is from the greadiness of our hospitals. We have big hospitals her and they are always in court against each other. I can't get to the site on the news paper that was posted but they said in the news it was because they didn't have enough people most of the time on the floor. Plus it also said it was a suggestion of some of the psych dr.s I guess they don't want to drive to 2 different hospitals.

Quoting Kathy489:

AMEN! I didn't vote for him, either. (exact same choice of wording: asshole!)

Unfortunately, Many of the very people who need this kind of care and other medical care probably did. They just weren't educated enough to know what they voted themselves into.

Quoting ashleighmama:

Quoting Kathy489:

Quoting ashleighmama:

Serenity7
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:28 AM

That is to bad

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I'm sorry that this is your center that is closing.  Its interesting to me because here, the psych units are what are keeping the rest of the hospital floors funded.

I totally agree with you about the greediness of the hospital corporations ruining paitent care.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN