Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Another Hospital closes its psych floor. This is a letter written from the hospital

Posted by   + Show Post

Behavioral Health Letter

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Jan 28, 2013

Cindy Hickey, 330-489-1212
cindy.hickey@cantonmercy.org

January 28, 2013

Dear Community:

Like all hospitals across the nation, Mercy Medical Center must prepare itself to meet the demands of the new national health care environment. We evaluated how best to steward resources according to our mission to best serve the needs of the community. A critical part of that effort was a careful review of under-utilized services to determine if patient needs could be met at other existing community facilities, and resources could then be used to enhance Mercy’s core services. 

As a result of this review, the decision has been made to discontinue Mercy’s inpatient behavioral health services (psychiatric care unit on 5B) effective February 15, 2013.

Mercy’s mission guides it to ensure that community needs are met, and also to focus services where it can deliver the best care most efficiently. Mercy’s review of behavioral health services determined that adequate capacity exists in the community for adult inpatient behavioral health services. Patients will be ably served by other inpatient units in Stark and Summit Counties.

With the advancement of medications and outpatient therapies in behavioral health care, great effort is now being made to care for patients without hospitalizing them. As a hospital, we have experienced that trend and must readjust our care model. We believe we can better serve the community by concentrating resources in other areas.

Mercy’s Emergency Department will continue to triage patients with behavioral health emergencies. After they are stabilized, patients who require hospitalization for behavioral health services will be transferred to the most appropriate facility. Mercy will continue to provide psychiatric consult services to hospitalized patients when requested.

It is difficult to make changes like this and we recognize their impact. Some of the affected employees will be able to apply for other openings at Mercy, and hopefully will remain employed at the Medical Center. We are very proud of the long legacy of Mercy’s patient care in behavioral health and recognize the contributions of those caregivers and support staff.

This action will help Mercy re-deploy resources to further advance patient care in other areas and to further advance processes for quality and patient satisfaction initiatives, which are essential in the new environment that is part of health care reform. It will also allow plans for a new use for the 5B area to fill other critical space needs for the hospital.

Sincerely,

Thomas E. Cecconi
President & CE0

This is bad for a lot of us in Stark County because this is were are insurance pays for

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:25 AM
Replies (21-25):
jalex
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Quoting lyrick24:

so sad.

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lovegrandbaby:

It's all about the greed - the money.  It's pretty sad when someone is ill, be it mental illness or physical illness, and they don't have insurance and they get turned away for treatment because they don't have insurance or money to pay up front.  That to me is BS!.  My boy has a heart condition and he got strep throat.  We called his primary care dr on an emergency to get him seen. They told us unless we paid them the $20 we owed them, he couldn't be seen.  I told them I didn't have the money that day, that I could give it to them in two days when I got paid (we live payck to payck).  Nope, they refused.  I ended up taking him to Urgent Care.  That is ridiculous to me.  We have had many mental health facilities, inpt and outpt close way before Mr. Obama took office, so we can blame it on him.  I blame it on the greedy insurance companies and the greedy physicians/hospitals.

You wanted a service,even though you owed them money and they said to pay the money 1st,what makes them"greedy"???Since u r living paycheck to paycheck,how 'bout if your employer says I can't pay u on payday,I can pay u in 2 days?    What is ridiculous is when folks don't pay their bills and expect handouts.  No business can make it unless it is paid.

lovegrandbaby
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Well for one thing, I had gotten the bill two days before he got sick.  That $20 was what was left after insurance paid their part, and we hadn't known what they were paying until we got the bill, so if they were so worried about their money, they would have every one pay before and have us bill insurance companies.  Not my fault it takes forever for an insurance company to pay.  Secondly, if you have a child with a heart condition and they get strep, it can be fatal if not treated, so in my opinion, they didn't give a s@@t about him.  And I have had my check be late from an employer, but could I say "oh, I can't wait - you have to take me to your bank and get me cash"  I doubt it, I wouldn't have had the job.  Not all of us are fortunate enough to have a decent paying job or a job at all.

Quoting SandyLaxner:

Quoting lovegrandbaby:

It's all about the greed - the money.  It's pretty sad when someone is ill, be it mental illness or physical illness, and they don't have insurance and they get turned away for treatment because they don't have insurance or money to pay up front.  That to me is BS!.  My boy has a heart condition and he got strep throat.  We called his primary care dr on an emergency to get him seen. They told us unless we paid them the $20 we owed them, he couldn't be seen.  I told them I didn't have the money that day, that I could give it to them in two days when I got paid (we live payck to payck).  Nope, they refused.  I ended up taking him to Urgent Care.  That is ridiculous to me.  We have had many mental health facilities, inpt and outpt close way before Mr. Obama took office, so we can blame it on him.  I blame it on the greedy insurance companies and the greedy physicians/hospitals.

You wanted a service,even though you owed them money and they said to pay the money 1st,what makes them"greedy"???Since u r living paycheck to paycheck,how 'bout if your employer says I can't pay u on payday,I can pay u in 2 days?    What is ridiculous is when folks don't pay their bills and expect handouts.  No business can make it unless it is paid.

lovegrandbaby
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I wasn't looking for a handout either, I was thinking of my son's life.  I'm sure that $20 wasn't going to break them for two days.  You can't tell me that it costs $125 for a flu shot at the drs.  Tell me that isn't greed.  Even with a "college degree" I only got just above minimum wage.  Who can survive on that?  But the greedy business owners/etc don't have to worry about that do they?

Quoting SandyLaxner:

What is ridiculous is when folks don't pay their bills and expect handouts.  No business can make it unless it is paid.

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Quoting lovegrandbaby:

I wasn't looking for a handout either, I was thinking of my son's life.  I'm sure that $20 wasn't going to break them for two days.  You can't tell me that it costs $125 for a flu shot at the drs.  Tell me that isn't greed.  Even with a "college degree" I only got just above minimum wage.  Who can survive on that?  But the greedy business owners/etc don't have to worry about that do they?

Quoting SandyLaxner:

What is ridiculous is when folks don't pay their bills and expect handouts.  No business can make it unless it is paid.

If I had my own business-I would expect to be paid-I have bills to pay too.  Simple.

$20 that you do not pay x how many pt's =$$$

I got my flu shot at CVS Clinic for $35.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN