Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who knows? Good choice or bad?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:07 AM
  • 23 Replies

I have only told the pastors what's going on, and people I don't know in RL on facebook or here, and one former friend I see once a year. I did tell my husband I was going to see a therapist months ago, and he was like "OK" and has never mentioned it since.

It's been bad lately. I can do stuff, but I just don't want to be here. I'd like to be asleep or gone. I know I have to stick around, so I'm doing what I can. I talked to the pastor on Friday (thanks & apologies for wasting her time), and she said I should talk to my mother about it. I never have. I love her, but we're a neurotic family and we don't talk. Plus, they're in their 70's and my father has health issues, so she has worries already.

So, who have you told and are you glad or not?

ETA- was it expected? Did you have a good relationship before. And yes, about depression, etc.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
adwarfstar
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

my old friends (i lost em all when i got pregnant) know, mostly. I told my parents, and it didn't do a darn thing. they don't believe anything is wrong with me, so i don't even bother telling them anything. My boyfriend understands and somehow helps me through my worst times. although sometimes i don't think he really believes in any of it. but he acts like he does and that's good enough for me.

anotherandree
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

You mean going on with my mental health/mental state?  I learned the hard way to keep my cards close to my chest.  When I first broke down, I told a few "friends" and my mother.  Yikes, what a mistake!  My friends felt the need to pass the information around work and my mother treats me like I am a convicted murderer.  (I am going for a job interview later this morning and when I told her about it, her first words were, "Oh no, they can't find out that you were under psychiatric care, can they?"  I SAW a psychiatrist to monitor my meds I was never inpatient.)  So those were BAD decisions and I learned from them.  What I learned is that I have core people that I can talk to and they will not judge.  That is my BFF, my husband, and my therapist.  I could probably add more, but I am okay with the small number.  Those are my GOOD choices.

Tracys2
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, I was of course thinking that she was telling me to tell my mother to get me to not annoy her, despite I havne't bugged her about it in 6 weeks. I know I'm probably wronging her, I want her to like me so much.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

A few people at work know, my aunt knows, and a few other people know. I haven't even told my parents, my sister, or my daughter.

Tracys2
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I think that's common. May I ask why? I think for me, it's a mix of not wanting to worry them and not wanting to let them down. I know my father has depression because Wellbutrin is on his medication list. But I'm not close to him, and I woiuld tell my mother instead, but I don't want her to worry, because right now it really is more than annoying, it is worrying to me. I want to be strong and not bother her.

Telling the kids will be tough. Not sure how or when. They know something is wrong sometimes, but they are too young to understand.

Quoting leahbeah143:

A few people at work know, my aunt knows, and a few other people know. I haven't even told my parents, my sister, or my daughter.

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

i have told my husband, my family and some of his family and my best friend. my family didnt respond so well and are not having anything to do with me now but the others responded positively. i am who i am and if you like me you will understand and if you dont so be it.

Tracys2
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, I do like you :-)

Quoting lyrick24:

i have told my husband, my family and some of his family and my best friend. my family didnt respond so well and are not having anything to do with me now but the others responded positively. i am who i am and if you like me you will understand and if you dont so be it.

deltathree
Quietness is the surest sign that you've died. Your old life was a frantic running from silence. Rumi
Today at 12:52 PM
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't mean to be negative, but wish I hadn't told ppl.  There's so much judgment, lost friends,etc.  I'd be very careful who you tell.  They say to tell for support, but you don't get support anyway.  That's why this group rocks!

Tracys2
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:16 PM
2 moms liked this
Thanks for the warning. And I 'm sorry people treated you badly

Quoting deltathree:

I don't mean to be negative, but wish I hadn't told ppl.  There's so much judgment, lost friends,etc.  I'd be very careful who you tell.  They say to tell for support, but you don't get support anyway.  That's why this group rocks!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deltathree
Quietness is the surest sign that you've died. Your old life was a frantic running from silence. Rumi
Today at 12:52 PM
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

AWWW!  Thanks hun :) 

Quoting Tracys2:

Thanks for the warning. And I 'm sorry people treated you badly

Quoting deltathree:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)