Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who knows? Good choice or bad?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have only told the pastors what's going on, and people I don't know in RL on facebook or here, and one former friend I see once a year. I did tell my husband I was going to see a therapist months ago, and he was like "OK" and has never mentioned it since.

It's been bad lately. I can do stuff, but I just don't want to be here. I'd like to be asleep or gone. I know I have to stick around, so I'm doing what I can. I talked to the pastor on Friday (thanks & apologies for wasting her time), and she said I should talk to my mother about it. I never have. I love her, but we're a neurotic family and we don't talk. Plus, they're in their 70's and my father has health issues, so she has worries already.

So, who have you told and are you glad or not?

ETA- was it expected? Did you have a good relationship before. And yes, about depression, etc.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Replies (21-23):
Tracys2
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Yeah, my husband doesn't understand, and has his own problems. I try to meet new people, but somewhere before friendship, they disappear. The closest thing I have to friends is these pastors, but I'm also their job and they are SO busy, so I feel guilty for wanting any of their time. I made it through about a year alone, and it is way better with someone to talk to. But I only talk when I absolutely can't stand it.

She was like "You mean I'm the ONLY one you've talked to?" like it was unusual.

Quoting reindeer-c:

I am in the same situation. I have no one to talk to. I try to talk to my husband, but he does not understand. I also do not want him to worry more than he already does so I keep a lot inside. I want to meet new people but I prefer to isolate. I know how you feel......alone.

Quoting Jazmyn1:

No one seems to care really. My stepmom has anxiety but still no one seems to get it. So I now.live in a different city no friends no family just me and my kids

lancet98
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Depression is like any medical issue an no employer should be told about it. All medical information is your provate business and no one else's.

It's just the same as an employer not being able to descriminate against those who have had cancer or had a disability.

Believe me, it's a buyer's market and potential employers will descriminate against almost anything.   People who are older, who have had an illness, or even an injury, are descriminated against in the hiring process.

As for telling friends about a mental health diagnosis, I would agree with others who say that it isn't a great idea to tell just anyone as it can get back to an employer.

Be proud of yourself for getting a diagnosis and getting it treated - THAT is cool, and t those who don't realize that, too bad for them.

Tracys2
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Good point. When I had a job, I never told them-- and you're right that people should be wary! But I have no employer now, and not likely to have one again any time soon. So, if my mother knows (who lives 3000 miles away and worked in employment law), and my pastor knows, and a therapist knows.... not likely to be a problem for me :-)

Quoting lancet98:

Depression is like any medical issue an no employer should be told about it. All medical information is your provate business and no one else's.

It's just the same as an employer not being able to descriminate against those who have had cancer or had a disability.

Believe me, it's a buyer's market and potential employers will descriminate against almost anything.   People who are older, who have had an illness, or even an injury, are descriminated against in the hiring process.

As for telling friends about a mental health diagnosis, I would agree with others who say that it isn't a great idea to tell just anyone as it can get back to an employer.

Be proud of yourself for getting a diagnosis and getting it treated - THAT is cool, and t those who don't realize that, too bad for them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)