Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

This is why...

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:21 AM
  • 7 Replies
This is why I have a tendency to seclude myself from certain "friends" and. It talk to/hang out often. Myself, my df, and my dd were over at a friends house visitin tonight watching cable (we don't get cable in my place so it was kind of a change for us) one of the Cymbalta commercials came on with the "depression hurts" slogan and how depression hurts. One of my said "friends" pipes up and says in response to the commercial (after muting the tv) "oh quit bitching and get over it" I and df didn't know what he ment so df asked what and said "friend" responds "the stupid comercial they just need to quit bitching about their depression and get over it" I didn't say anything but that comment really did hurt me! As a person who is bi polar and depressed even when she should be happy that comment stung pretty bad. Df could see it effected me and quickly changed the subject. It came on again and he made a similar comment and "why do they only picture women in these putty party commercials" I really just wanted to smack the crap out of him!! I can usually let stuff like that go and brush it off but I just can't. As someone that does suffer from depression, anxiety and bipolar I know first hand That depression can and does hurt and there is usually little that can be done to pull myself out of one of my down swings. This on top of other thigs that both "friends" have done lately really makes me want to fully cut ties with them and stop with this bull. But idk how I can cut ties without causing a huge ripple effect and causing other problems. Ugh! Sorry paddies just needed to vent but would his comments upset you as well or am I overreacting?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:53 AM
2 moms liked this
Man, I'm sorry.... I believe I would have asked if he wanted to see an irritable manic episode and if not, maybe he should keep his trap shut while he still had a trap to shut. Granted, a loss of company...uh forever, but geez you never know whose in the room with you!

And you know why it's only women in the commercials??? Because apparently we're better at understanding medication is better than shooting people at a mall or theatre or school !!!
God, honey, I'm sorry. Proof that not all injuries are visible... His is a case of assholiness :) yeah, I've used that as a noun , too . As in yes, your Assholiness !
ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:01 AM
I understand your feelings about the guys comment. Since you say hes a friend, does he know that you are bipolar and/or take those kinds of meds? It would REALLY make me mad if so called friemd DID know and was still so rude to make these comments in front of you. I probably would have told him to eff off and left. If he DOESNT know about your issues, just look at him as being ignorant. You can either say something to him or not. If you tell him about you and hes still a jerk, I would exit that friendship.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lexismom90
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:29 AM
What made it worse is I am pretty sure he knows I suffer with it. Last week some time they were over and we were talkin about gun controll and as part of the discussion back ground checks and mental ilmess and I know I said that if it passes that people with mental illness can't own fire arms my gun would be gone in a hear beat because I am bipolar. So either he didn't pay attention to that comment or he doesn't realize that bipolar and depression go hand in hand or he is just an asshole and doesn't give a crap.

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Man, I'm sorry.... I believe I would have asked if he wanted to see an irritable manic episode and if not, maybe he should keep his trap shut while he still had a trap to shut. Granted, a loss of company...uh forever, but geez you never know whose in the room with you!

And you know why it's only women in the commercials??? Because apparently we're better at understanding medication is better than shooting people at a mall or theatre or school !!!

God, honey, I'm sorry. Proof that not all injuries are visible... His is a case of assholiness :) yeah, I've used that as a noun , too . As in yes, your Assholiness !
lexismom90
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:33 AM
Idk if he does or not honestly. I Know I mentioned it about a week ago as part of a different topic but idk if he really payed any attention or gave a crap. And I know it has come up 1-2 other times as well but he is the type that tends to forget and not pay attention to things like that. Honestly I would cut all ties with him but his fiancé is typically pretty nice and we *usually* get along okay me and her. Not as much lately but we survive.

Quoting ashleighmama:

I understand your feelings about the guys comment. Since you say hes a friend, does he know that you are bipolar and/or take those kinds of meds? It would REALLY make me mad if so called friemd DID know and was still so rude to make these comments in front of you. I probably would have told him to eff off and left. If he DOESNT know about your issues, just look at him as being ignorant. You can either say something to him or not. If you tell him about you and hes still a jerk, I would exit that friendship.
ma1234
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Depression is serious and it hurts. Negative words like that hurt. No depressed person wants to hear just get over it, because if we could just get over it and it was that easy they wouldnt call it depression, they would call it temporarily blue. You have to voice your opinions or you will hurt more. If they don't respect you, I wouldnt hang out with people who don't respect me.

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:33 AM
1 mom liked this

that would have upset me too. but you have to think, he probably has never had any experience with depression and is not educated about it. that doesnt mean that it will never hit him. i cant tell you how many people never understood me until it hit them themselves. if you dont feel comfortable around them dont go over anymore. you dont have to offer an explanation.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I probably would have been upset too, but then I would have to remind myself that he's probably an uneducated ass and doesn't know what he's talking about. And then I probably would have gone off on him for talking smack on things he has no idea about lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN