Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

How do you look at depression?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:31 PM
  • 21 Replies
Hi I'm Angie. I have depression. I made a status talking about how hard depression can be. A "friend" of mine commented asking if I was bi-polar. I said no. Then she messaged me asking if i had a panic disorder. I told her I have depression. I said that its a disease and an illness. I believe that. She says its a disorder. I feel a little frustrated because she doesn't really know what she's talking about. I was just wondering how do you look at depression? Do you see it as an illness/disease or just simply as a disrorder? I'm curious. Feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Well, it took me years to finally think of depression the way you do. Im 41 and I was diagnosed with major depression at 16, so that was like 1987 or so. That was almost still in the days where not many parents took their kids to psych drs. I didnt like having to take pills just to be "normal". I saw myself as just effed up. But now I DO understand it and see it like you do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jazmyn1
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Guess Im not educated on it I have major depressive disorder since I was 16 I have anxiety/ panic attacks I see it as all of those things. I do hate it when ppl categorize all mental illnesses in one group!! I would never go hurt or kill anyone but I deff. Have a mental disorder cause I see things and think of things differently then others . I also see it as a disease /illness. So if you can help me inderstand better I would appreciate it
naynay76
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:03 AM

I see it as a illness/disease. I have been battling with depression since i  was a very young child and i will be 37 friday to me i do not know what life without it is. maybe you could ask your friend if it's just a disorder how do people get aproved for disability on their nerves? if you do ask her let me know what she says gather up some info on depression and sent it to her in a private message  some people just don't understand because they just don't know the info

diaperstodating
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:12 AM
I have depression. I view it as a disease/illness and not as a disorder.
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:31 AM

i look at it as a disease.

proudmomalexis
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:26 AM
i dont really know
Tracys2
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Disease. Any other way is counter-productive and tends towards the "snap out of it" stupidity that makes things worse

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Disorders are still severe.  I have bipolar and I view it as a disorder.  My brain IS disordered, it is as much of a medical problem as it is a psych problem.  I have been dealing with this since I was 14 and soing a lot of research on it I believe it is a possible imbalance between noripreniphrine and cortisol along with the electical impulses in my brain not firing from synapse to synapse correctly.

Letha
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:48 PM
I view it as an illness cuz that's what my doctor always classified it. I never heard of anyone calling it a disease. I'm not sure about it being it a disorder.
Serenity7
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I see depression as depression

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN