Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Antidepressants

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies
Is it really so bad to take a pill (lexapro) here or there when feeling tough, ie., anxiety, sad,... If it makes you feel good within a few hours of taking them what can be the harm? Let me know your thoughts.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MrsMama030912
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:13 PM
I really don't think the antidepressants can work the way they were intended if you just take them occasionally.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovegrandbaby
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:47 PM

I think you need to be consistent when taking medications.  They are given to balance out the chemicals in the brain causing the issues.  I certainly can tell if I don't take mine even one day.  I sometimes get preoccupied and forget, and long into the day, I sure can tell, and so can others (LOL)

leahbeah143
by Leah on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Quoting MrsMama030912:

I really don't think the antidepressants can work the way they were intended if you just take them occasionally.

this. I think a lot of them take at least a few weeks to kick in.

Izsarejman
by Kim on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I don't think Lexapro or any antidepressants are designed to work that way. They take 2-3 weeks to kick in. It might be a placebo effect.

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:29 AM

you have to take the pill on a regular basis. if you just take one every now and then it wont keep the level up in your system to where you feel better. one lexapro wont help anything. if it is prescribed to you you should be taking it everyday.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:10 AM
Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them! Part of the reason is my DH thinks I can "kick" those negative feelings, etc on my own. It's hard when I don't the support needed. I can tell when I don't take them. I get anxious, panicky, paranoid...
I think it's about time I take them consistently, with or without support to include the possibility of having another child are huge factors.
deltathree
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Do what's best for you hun.  If you need meds it's ok. Hugs.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them! Part of the reason is my DH thinks I can "kick" those negative feelings, etc on my own. It's hard when I don't the support needed. I can tell when I don't take them. I get anxious, panicky, paranoid...
I think it's about time I take them consistently, with or without support to include the possibility of having another child are huge factors.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN