Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

U.S. Adults with Mental Illness Have Higher Smoking Rates

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:14 AM
rho
  • 8 Replies

Public Health News Roundup: February 6

U.S. Adults with Mental Illness Have Higher Smoking Rates
Adults with mental illness have a smoking rate 70 percent higher than adults with no mental illness, according to the February 2013 Vital Signs report released yesterday by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The report was done in collaboration with the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) and found that 36 percent of adults with a mental illness are cigarette smokers, compared with only 21 percent of adults who do not have a mental illness. Among adults with mental illness, smoking prevalence is especially high among younger adults, American Indians, Alaska Natives, those living below the poverty line, and those with lower levels of education. Differences also exist across states. Smoking prevalence for people with mental illness ranges from 18.2 percent in Utah to 48.7 percent in West Virginia. The data used to determine the smoking rates in the Vital Signs report comes from 2009–2011 National Survey on Drug Use and Health. Mental illness was defined as having a diagnosable mental, behavioral, or emotional disorder, excluding developmental and substance use disorders, in the past 12 months. The report also found that, on average, adult smokers with mental illness smoke more cigarettes per month than those without mental illness (331 vs. 310 cigarettes) and are less likely to quit smoking. “Special efforts are needed to raise awareness about the burden of smoking among people with mental illness and to monitor progress in addressing this disparity,”

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
deltathree
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:25 AM

hmmmm.....dunno - I don't smoke.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I beleive it, I don't think everyone with a mental illness smokes but most if not all people I know who are bipolar smoke.  I read something once that nicotine helps calm the brain activity for just a very short period of time.  I also read that people who have schizophrenia have a 97% smoking rate.

Tracys2
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I could see that. I personally prefer food and coffee (I know!) over even alcohol to self-medicate and have never smoked 1 cigarette, but my father had issues probably related to his depression. Interesting, TFS!

Letha
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Interesting! I live in WV and I do believe we have a higher smoke rate here! Just about everyone I know including people with people mental illness smokes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Serenity7
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Thanks for posting

rhodaj
by rho on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I learned that in NAMI and that is why it is so hard for us to quit smoking. They say people with Bioplar have an addictive personality and we get addicted easily. Mine is smoking.

Quoting matreshka:

I beleive it, I don't think everyone with a mental illness smokes but most if not all people I know who are bipolar smoke.  I read something once that nicotine helps calm the brain activity for just a very short period of time.  I also read that people who have schizophrenia have a 97% smoking rate.

hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:22 PM
Duh, self medication.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Ruby Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Totally, and they are doing studies on nicotine alone to see if it has any long lasting benefits in Europe.  Obv. not smoking cigs but doing something else with the nicotine

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Duh, self medication.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)