Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Remember...

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:32 AM
  • 12 Replies
3 moms liked this
Mental Illness doesnt automatically make a person crazy. Having mental illnesses does not automatically make a person a bad parent of incapable of properly parenting a child. It does not automatically make one incapable of working. However, yes some are incapable of working. But that doesn't automatically make them bad parents.

The stigma on mental illnesses in this country needs to stop. It stops some people from getting the help they need and deserve. There is NOTHING wrong with having a mental illness. There is NOTHING wrong with asking for and getting help. It is not a sign of weakness; it is a sign of strength. If you were in constant physical pain you would go to your doctor and get help. This is no different. Mental health is just as important.

Thanks to a fellow CMer posted in Mom Confessions
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:34 AM
I agree.
leahbeah143
by Leah on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:43 AM

thank you for sharing!

ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:15 AM
I totally agree.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
reindeer-c
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I also agree. I hope this becomes a reality someday.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:09 AM

I totally agree.  I am a mother of two boys.  when I got hospitalized a few times then went through ECT, which was intensive and a long recovery, my ex took our son.  Nothing is in writing but I am afraid to take him to court bc he will throw all that in my face.

DH and I have a 2 year old. toddlers are difficult little creatures.  I use my coping skills to walk away if I get heated, breathe relax and come back to the issue.  Because of my mental health dx I have had EI come out and evaluate my son for any learning or motor delays, he scored above and beyond "average"  I finally felt vindicated.

Thank You for this post!

Serenity7
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:00 PM

True but sadly many people don't feel that way

Jaybabies10
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM
That's what needs to be changed the way we think

Quoting Serenity7:

True but sadly many people don't feel that way

lexismom90
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:12 PM
I agree and thank you for sharing!
Tracys2
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Fully agree. Those of us with mental illness are often more thoughtful, compassionate, etc for the experience. As Matreshka illustrates, we learn coping skills that can help us through situations in which the "normal" would founder or fail. And admitting we need help against all this stigma is definitely a sign of personal strength and selflessness, of doing the right thing for others regardless of the cost for ourselves (I will never fly a plane alone again).

deltathree
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Very well said - couldn't agree more.  Great post!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)