Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Embracing Ease Every Day

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:20 AM
  • 6 Replies

Weightless

{via etsy by bomobob}

Right now I’m taking Rachel’s excellent Ease Hunting course, where we’re focusing on finding ease, space and sanctuary in our everyday. So lately I’ve been paying more attention to how I move throughout my days and how I naturally seek and find ease.

One thing I’ve realized: Ease definitely doesn’t come naturally to me. As a highly sensitive person, I’m easily overwhelmed by my environment.

I’m bothered by bright lights, big crowds and loud noises. I’m easily startled. I’m extra sensitive to scary or violent movies or images, so if I see something, I just can’t shake it off. (Even my favorite shows “Castle” and “Elementary” can sometimes be too much.)

While ease isn’t automatically accessible to me, I’ve also noticed that there are still many ways I find space and sanctuary.

For instance, I:

• listen to classical music.
  • find moments of gratitude (this project has been helping). And remind myself how lucky I am to be doing what I love — and doing it from my home office (or really anywhere in the world).
  • write on my parent’s patio.
  • write in OmmWriter, a program with a very soothing environment.
  • use Freedom, a program that blocks the Internet for a specified time. (Something else I’ve learned, over the years: Unfortunately, I get distracted very easily!)
  • wear headphones while I write, even if I’m not listening to any music. Something about the headphones covering my ears helps to drown out the noise and focus inward.
  • wind down before bed by reading something soothing (which I don’t do nearly enough).
  • laugh.
  • spot when I’ve reached my limit and seek quiet asap. Even closing my ears with my fingers, and taking a few deep breaths helps a lot. (Hopefully, this doesn’t sound as odd as I think it does.)
  • marvel at anything and everything in sight: sunshine, trees, art, a book; and remember all the work and magic that went into creating and building all these things.

There are many, many ways we can find ease in our everyday. We likely have ease in our lives already. And that means we can build on these moments.

Sometimes, some days, ease is tougher to find. So we need to look a little harder. And that’s OK. It’s there, just waiting to be uncovered.

What does ease mean to you? How do you find ease in your everyday?

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
matreshka
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:21 AM

For me, I laugh, watch a funny show or something after LO has gone to bed.  I like to get into my art.  I also go easy on myself reminding myself to do one thing at a time.

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:21 AM

i look out at the trees while im listening to the radio. or i relax on my bed while im listening to a tv show not watching it. having a good cup of coffee.

Tracys2
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I do a lot of that stuff!

• Nature- I love to stare at the night sky, sunrise, sunset, clouds, feel the soft mulchy ground... all the senses
  • Laugh at/with my kids
  • Listen to music
  • Write
  • Bath & book before bed
  • Coffee drinks in the morning, tea in the afternoon, odd beer at night- really tasty ones
  • Looking at pictures
  • Puzzles
  • I will close eyes and ears occasionally too, or stand outside the car with rowdy kids in, enjoying how much quieter it is outside and the peace of outside when the kids are buckled in
  • Just taking in comforting environments. My pew at church. My space at Sunday school. My chair at home. The sights, sounds, feelings that are familiar
matreshka
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:55 AM

All great things. I need to get out in nature more.  When i was younger and before my body quit on me. I was a long distance backpacker. nature was so soothing.  I love reading and music as well.

Quoting Tracys2:

I do a lot of that stuff!

• Nature- I love to stare at the night sky, sunrise, sunset, clouds, feel the soft mulchy ground... all the senses
  • Laugh at/with my kids
  • Listen to music
  • Write
  • Bath & book before bed
  • Coffee drinks in the morning, tea in the afternoon, odd beer at night- really tasty ones
  • Looking at pictures
  • Puzzles
  • I will close eyes and ears occasionally too, or stand outside the car with rowdy kids in, enjoying how much quieter it is outside and the peace of outside when the kids are buckled in
  • Just taking in comforting environments. My pew at church. My space at Sunday school. My chair at home. The sights, sounds, feelings that are familiar

Serenity7
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Thanks for posting

deltathree
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Awesome post - tfs!  Nature helps me a lot!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)