Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

i have lie to my dr and to myself

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Every time i go to my psychiatrist and counselor i lie to them. I do feel like harming myself and yes sometimes i do harm myself. I'm a cutter and have been seen age 13. I'm afraid of telling them that i do harm and have the thoughts. I just don't want to lose my kid and definitely don't want to get lock in a mental hospital. I'm just afraid of what will happen.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Replies (11-13):
gonecrazi
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I agree

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

You need to be honest with your doctors. That is the only way they can help you. And by telling them you have thoughts of hurting yourself.. I dont think they would have your child taken away. It hasnt happened to me. I was even honest in telling my dr I was having thoughts of hurting my kids (when i had ppd..and i never did hurt them) They werent taken from me. You cant get the help you need if you are not completely honest.

LadyOphelia
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:21 PM

((hugs))

It's ok to be honest. They won't take them away. I am a cutter too (1 month cut-free at the given time). I didn't want to tell my doc & he noticed my arm. I expressed my fear of being locked up and/or kids taken away. He said that wasn't the case (unless I was actually doing harm to them) but it was good to know as a starting point.

**Also for other self-harm people out there**  I just ran across this thing called The Butterfly Project.  While, yes it is more for teens...BUT I think it could be helpful. The idea is when you feel the urge to cut, draw a butterfly on you where you want to cut & name it. If you cut, it dies. Start over. Don't wash it off (best to use a sharpie).  When it finally fades, that means the butterfly has flown away & you have gone (1 week etc) cut free. Judging from the posts online, it is helping people a lot. I am thinking about it too.

svannie
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:06 AM

I was very, very hesitant about telling my therapist about self-injury.  In fact, I waited for almost a year before I shared it with her.  But finally I told her and it took so much pressure off.  Now, I can be honest with her when I am struggling with the urge to cut and we can really talk about triggers.  I'm not saying everything is easy now, but it did help to have at least one person to talk to about it. 

It would be really unusual to be hospitalized for self-harm.  Your kids wouldn't be taken for this reason either.  You can also ask your therapist what their procedure/feelings/policy is about self injury without admitting anything.  Once you are reassured that their policy won't land you in the hospital or get your kids taken, it may be easier to open up. 

Good luck.  You aren't alone in this.  Please post if it helps and get support from all of us moms who struggle with the same thing.  It is tough, but you are not alone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)