Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

anyone else???

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:07 PM
  • 20 Replies
I have seen 2 phyciatrists (sp) the 1st I did not like the 2nd was much better. I was diagnosed by her today with general anxiety disorder, ptsd, and bipolar 2 (??) She also said something about having a severe depression episode (??) . Well I really really don't want to be put on meds. Has anyone been diagnosed with any of these and declined medication? If so what did you do to help yourself through it? I really am not comfortable taking meds....I do not judge those who do though its just not for me. Is there other methods, things I can do to overcome this?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momma1708
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I suffer from episodes of anxiety and depression. I am also border line bi-polar. I have episodes of ptsd, not as bad as they used to be. I take meds, so I can't really help with that, but I can tell you that writing in a journal has helped me a lot. I also enjoy going to therapy, it helps to get things off your chest. Did you ask your psychiatrist of any natural things you can take? 

So since there really isn't much I can say, this is also a bump for you! 

MommysTimeOut5
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:28 PM
2 moms liked this

Well I  am on meds as well but I don't RELY on them to improve my life. I do a lot of yoga, exercise, writing, singing, reading and other activities to keep me from being depressed. The medicine to me is just like if you had diabetes, high blood pressure or need aspirin to keep from taking a heart attack. It is used to increase your serotonin levels in your brain and you can do that naturally but sometimes a little boost of medicine does help. Good luck and I am rooting for you to remain "med free"

Angelanscalf89
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:33 PM
I was diagnosed with bipolar anxiety depression 10 years ago I havent taken medication in 8 years some times are harder than others. The anxiety is the worst and I need medication for it but I refuse. The reason I dont take anything though is because of health complications caused by medication.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovegrandbaby
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:46 PM
3 moms liked this

I can't help as I take medication.  I realize that if I don't take it, I am much worse.  Mental illness is an actual illness, a chemical imbalance in the brain.  I don't like to take medication, but if it helps even me out, along with meditating, exercise, etc.  I would not hesitate to take it - just as if you have diabetes and need insulin, or  a heart problem and need a pace maker - that's how I look at it.

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:28 AM
1 mom liked this

if youve decided not to take meds, i would def. see a counselor and learn some coping skills. i am bipolar type II and i have to take meds or i am too depressed to do anything. it can be done though. make an appt with a counselor and see how that goes.

angel_peanut
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:23 AM

i have been seeing a therapist for about 4 months....she is a God sent! If you dont mind my asking what were some of your symtoms of bipolar 2?

Quoting lyrick24:

if youve decided not to take meds, i would def. see a counselor and learn some coping skills. i am bipolar type II and i have to take meds or i am too depressed to do anything. it can be done though. make an appt with a counselor and see how that goes.

angel_peanut
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:25 AM

i have always been this way about meds for some reason. not just meds for anti despression or anxiety...all meds pertty much. for me to even take a ibuprofin i have to be in SEVERE pain, same with antibiotics, it is a very last resort for me and even the kids 

Quoting lovegrandbaby:

I can't help as I take medication.  I realize that if I don't take it, I am much worse.  Mental illness is an actual illness, a chemical imbalance in the brain.  I don't like to take medication, but if it helps even me out, along with meditating, exercise, etc.  I would not hesitate to take it - just as if you have diabetes and need insulin, or  a heart problem and need a pace maker - that's how I look at it.

angel_peanut
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:34 AM

i will definitly ask my therapist about any natural remedys that may help..going to do some research on it to. Thank you:) 

Quoting momma1708:

I suffer from episodes of anxiety and depression. I am also border line bi-polar. I have episodes of ptsd, not as bad as they used to be. I take meds, so I can't really help with that, but I can tell you that writing in a journal has helped me a lot. I also enjoy going to therapy, it helps to get things off your chest. Did you ask your psychiatrist of any natural things you can take? 

So since there really isn't much I can say, this is also a bump for you! 

notabosley
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I have bipolar disorder and honestly can't function without medication. It's not a crutch for me, that is just how my brain works. I feel bad when I hear from woman who can't take medication for side affects. Fortunately for me I haven't had problems with side affects. I was diagnosed when I was 20-21, I've stayed medicated since then. FYI 35.

Quoting lovegrandbaby:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Im on meds have been since 16 off and on I try to go off them and do ok for a while but have to go back on. I can talk myself out of panic attacks but bipolar I would seriously consider meds and continue counseling you can do it without rx but its hard and a lot of work and make sure you have a strong support system. I personally will say if you have kids meds will help so your kids are not affected as much good luck hugs
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)