Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

How do you fix "nothing to look forward too"

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM
  • 10 Replies

This is how I feel most days. I'm not talking about the long term, but the day to day grind. You know you get up go to work or take care of business at home for awhile. You have to figure out what to cook for supper or where to go and then there is tv until bedtime. My kids are in high school, in a few years I won't even have their stuff to do. I'm at work now but when I get home all I have to do is laundry and clean I guess. I feel like I should be entertaining my husband too, we just watch tv together every night.

I'm so tired of not having more to do but I can't find anything to interest me even. Not interested in sewing or painting; scrapbooks and photos make me sad for the past. I feel like I'm wasting time sitting in a chair reading.  Hobbies cost money I don't really have. I know all the stuff I could do, get involved in a church, volunteer, go to a gym but I just don't do it and don't want to be "obligated" either.   It's so annoying not being content....

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gonecrazi
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Sometimes depression can just zap your energy or your will to do anything. Making life seem boring.

ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:01 PM
I dont really have any advice because I kinda feel the same way you do, Im just plain bored, nothing really interests me, and I dont want the obligation either, like if I joined something. The only thing I do that Im pretty much obligated to is my 8 yr old son is in Cub Scouts, and I, not hubby, is his "scout parent".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tracys2
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Sounds like depression to me, too. All of those issues improve for SAD sufferers in Summer, and for others with medication, therapy or exercise. But it's hard to get motivated for those things when you have no hope.

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:14 PM

try to find something that you really enjoy. for me it is swimming. i used to sew and do scrapbooking but even that got boring and i had no interest in it. but the water always makes me feel good. we have an aquatic center here so i can go swimming even in the winter. i hope you find something you like to do.

Nena70
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:12 PM

ive felt like that too.  I think about how it will be when my kids are gone in their lives. Well, I know that I have a job I enjoy but that shouldnt be my whole life. 

I dont know , but I do like to plan a small one night vacation and another little longer to get away every 6 months   . That helps me look forward to something.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:09 PM
I feel like this as well I joined a gym and thought I could make friends but sadly it seems people are only there to work out and they dont seem friendly could just be me n my depression. Pick up a job app and sadly I have massive anxiety about it not really sure why. My mind has a million feeling but my body just doesnt work together sadly im in florida so im pretty much syuck in house all summer way to hot to go outside
matreshka
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:33 AM

mindfulness helps with the day to day stuff. I get easily overwhelmed when I wake up and start thinking about cleaning, cooking, errands etc.  I take one thing at a time, make lists.  I laso listen to my body and do what I can without overextending myself (in addition to bipolar and PTSD I have fibro and RA)

I know how much hobbies can cost and I found collage and working with "found" objects around the house to be a really fun way of making art.

starsis68
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:11 AM
I am going thure the same thing. For a long time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
reindeer-c
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:31 AM

That is exactly how I feel! I have no interest or hobbies and watch tv to connect with people. I am a SAHM so I isolate from others. I overexercise and am afraid of giving it up because I have nothing else. I do not want to be obligated either so I do not extend myself to other people or activites but at the same time am lonely and not content. I know exactly how you feel and it sucks. I hope you get out of the rut.

deltathree
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I hear ya!  I'm a single mom - so no time or money.  It's always just the daily grind with monkey wrenches thrown in all the time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN