Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Fear Kept Mindy McCready from Getting More Help

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:35 AM
  • 10 Replies

mindy

In case you missed it, country star Mindy McCready was found dead over the weekend at the age of 37, the victim of an apparent suicide. When I was (briefly) a college student in Nashville in the late 1990s, Mindy was extremely popular and her hit “Guys Do It All The Time” was all over the radio. Well, I’m a northerner by birth, so living in Nashville meant learning how to tolerate country music, because it was inescapable. I saw Mindy perform at the university one time, but was never any huge fan. I didn’t know much about her until she appeared on “Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew.” By that time, the hits had stopped and she had gained notoriety for her troubled life.

We know how hard it can be to seek mental health treatment just being the regular shlubs we are. No TV cameras, no reporters, just runs to Wal-Mart to buy ice cream in our pajamas like everyone else. (What? You don’t do that? Me, either…) We’re afraid of what the people in our fairly small ring of friends and family will think. Imagine trying to get help in the public eye! Would you bother to try, or just be too afraid of the fallout? Here’s what Dr. Drew Pinsky had to say about Mindy’s fears:

“Her biggest fear was the stigma of doing [getting more help] and what people would think if she, God forbid, took care of herself. And this to me is the most distressing part of this story. She is a lovely woman, we have lost her, and it didn’t have to go down like this.”

We watch people like McCready on these celebrity help shows, and you root for them. Sometimes – like in the case of Charlie Sheen – you get the occasional chuckle out of the troubled things they say. But they’re real people, with real problems, and fame doesn’t give you magical self-healing powers. It’s sad that this is one of the few things that connects the “regular” people to the celebrities: the fear of being ridiculed and dismissed because of a medical problem.

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Serenity7
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Thanks for posting

deltathree
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I agree - so sad on so many levels.  And, the judgmental ppl out there are just horrible!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:20 PM

It is so sad, I wish so bad her life did not end this way. Unfortunately I've been in that place where I wanted to end it all...it led me to being hospitalized. Luckily my husband loved me enough to put me there. The saddest part is how horrible people are about mental illnesses, I can't even imagine being in the public eye. Where I live people will treat you like you have a contageous disease if they find out you've been diagnosed with a mental illness, it's awful!

diaperstodating
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Thank you for posting.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
dizzy77702
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:38 PM
So true and for that reason I stopped telling people I had a mental illness. It is hard when people find out I am receiving disability bc they then look at me like I have two heads. Just bc it doesn't show on the outside doesn't mean what I go through is any less real. I get tired of the stigma but thankfully my family supports me and understands.

Quoting Anonymous:

It is so sad, I wish so bad her life did not end this way. Unfortunately I've been in that place where I wanted to end it all...it led me to being hospitalized. Luckily my husband loved me enough to put me there. The saddest part is how horrible people are about mental illnesses, I can't even imagine being in the public eye. Where I live people will treat you like you have a contageous disease if they find out you've been diagnosed with a mental illness, it's awful!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rhodaj
by rho on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Yes this is a tradgedy that we lost such a young talented lady. I watched her on celeberty rehab. She left way to soon from rehab. She had been is so much trouble do to drugs with writing perscriptions for herself and had warrents out for her arrest. The courts should have stepped in and helped her get help and someone should have explained to her about the stigma. It is sad that she commited suicide in the same place that her boyfriend did. I don't think she ever recovered from that. I also think that the dr's should have been watching her more closely since she had a child 10 months ago she had a mental condition also probably had ptsd and was most likely very depressed since her 2 children was in state custody.

pookie.bear2009
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I was scared to admit I had PPD and now its full blown MDD. I could just kick myself in the a** for it. I am so tired of people talking about how selfish she was until you have been to the very bottom where you dont give a rat's behind if you get up or not then you dont have the right to judge. I have not ever been down that far and I hope I dont. I would want to think I would have someone there to make me feel like its not the "good" thing to do. She obviously cried out for help but no one heard it. Now she has 2 kids who dont have a mama and daddy and that is going to be hard on them later in life.

nai_ryoku
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:18 AM

That's the sad thing. The stigma of having a mental illness of being embarrassing. Wish it would stop and more would see it as a medical thing that people shouldn't feel ashamed of having treatment for. How many commercials and ads do we see of pills that can supposedly give a man a bigger penis but it's still taboo to seek help for depression?

gonecrazi
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

This is a sad story that didn't have to happen. Sometimes the stigma of mental illness is harder to over come than the illness its self.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:42 AM

so sad

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN