Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Do you have a good support team?

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:44 PM
rho
  • 18 Replies

I think I do most of the time. I have my husband that knows the signs of my manias and signs of my depressions. I also have a great psych dr and therapist that I can call at anytime.

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vivianbarnes
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I do have a good support system and use it alot these days. I have a doctor and her steady nurse that always ask how I am doing. A counselor that listens to me first and does show concern when I am going through way to much. A boyfriend  that understands and will except my call at any hour even if I don't always call him at 4 am when I can't control the sorrow, and even lets me stay with him just to keep me out of the hospital. He makes me laugh now and a wonderful man. my kids are always concerned and there when I do let them know, and a sister who has been there done that so many times. A mom and brother who are helping me survive and not be alone for any length in time. I even have police and er doctors that I call when all else fails. They all know I basically know what i should do and confidant that I can mostly pull myself out with little help but put the emergency actions together quickly when I can't pull out.  my boyfriend who is alway there for me, and so understanding as to what is going on in my head.  

diaperstodating
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Yes I do. My therapist, my mom, my dad and a few close friends.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Kind of. My mom and dad live about 25 minutes away and they are very supportive, esp. my mom. Im 41 yrs. old and my mom is 62. She has ALWAYS been my best friend and my biggest support. She would do just about anything to help me. But I find as we all get older I try to hide my bad times from her, like I dont want to worry her or burden her. I feel guilty sometimes when she does know that Im in a major depression cuz I know it makes her sad, she aches WITH me, kwim? She would do anything to make my mental issues go away, she wants nothing more than for me to be happy. Shes awesome! Dh is getting better, hes not much of an emotional support, hes not a big talker and it seems that he has no understanding of depression or anxiety, although I actually think HE has depression. But when I get REALLY bad, he will man up and do things like go to the store, make dinner, and if Im in the non functioning stage, he will actually run a hot bath for me and tell me to get in and bathe lol. I have an AWESOME dr/therapist too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armymomof2kids
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:05 AM

I do but my problem is reaching out when I need help. My husband isn't great at being able to tell when I need a moment to myself until its already too late, and when I do communicate with him he doesn't seem to understand how bad I'm suffering. My mom is very supportive, but she lives 100 miles away. We go to visit at least once a month so I can take a mental health day and have a night off and she has always come up to my house if it was an emergency. The other problem I have is that a lot of my friends don't relate, I'm 21 married with 2 kids and they are all single, but at least my family is there for me!

CaseyInKS
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:10 AM

Support is nice isn't it?  It can make a really big difference.   For me, I have none basically.   And I and my counselor who I had for years - she said something that made me feel like "what's the use talking to ANYBODY".   I've seen her for years and she knows as much or more about me than anyone else.  I've discussed with her how I suffer low self-esteem and how I always feel like the bad guy.  I don't expect her to just rubber stamp what I say but its obvious to me she doesn't get it at all.   Anyway, I've given up trying to talk to anyone professionally because I really had faith in her and invested a lot in her emotionally and opened up to her with things I've never revealed to anyone.   It's hard or me to trust women "in authority" or in some way superior to me because I feel like a kid all over again being judged.   But I got past that and i really trusted her and now I see it was just b.s. is all.  I give up.

Which brings me back around to that little voice in my head that is my mother saying what she said when I was younger, that no one is going to like me so I better appreciate anyone who befriends me and not ask too much out of them.

THANKS MOM.   Thanks for putting me down with no place to go but farther down.    EVEN if she was right, I don't think its good parenting to tell your child how deficient they are and not offer a solution or alternative.

Crap I am and crap I will always be.   Everytime I open up to someone I find a new source of betrayal.  So I stay home and to hell with everybody.

reindeer-c
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:29 AM

My husband tries and my 24 yr old daughter tries to help. I have no one else except these online groups.

Tracys2
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:01 AM

I have a group of online friends who asked me on Tuesday if I were OK and if I'd tell them before I drove my car into a tree or something. That was really nice.

My husband will put up with me and listen if I tell him stuff, BUT he won't bring it up. Ever. He'll ask me if I'm OK, but only if he can fix it immediately if not. And he has the emotional intelligence of a rock. Talking to him doesn't help, except alleviating my guilt that I am on drugs and he doesn't know.

My pastor is great but too busy. My mother now knows and would never say anything bad, but won't acknowledge it. I'll post the conversation later.

So generally, I can talk all I want to online but in RL only if I want to feel guilty.

flowrsgalore
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:25 AM

It's ok, but it certainly could be better.  I'm not really talking about my depression, just in general.  Really only one friend knows about my depression & she will encourage & listen well.  I tell my husband about it, but he just doesn't really buy it.  To him it's more I'm just  "low" for a bit & it's something that just needs to pass.  One of these days I'll make the big leap & actually go see a counselor or other therapist person. It's just something I fear will take up time & not benefit me much.  I'd like to feel more comfortable around the people who live near me.  I'd like more security in having a network of people who I could call on if the chips were really down. Nobody ever calls me when they are in a bind.  My family is pretty small and it seems like we can only take small doses of each other so it's hard to really open up to them.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:53 AM

My therapist and psych doc are great, but I don't have consistent support from DH and not much support from anyone else, expcept here.

Tracys2
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:53 AM

This sounds really familiar. I would love to help others, but they don't even let me. Makes me feel the more useless. And agreed with the husband thing.

Quoting flowrsgalore:

It's ok, but it certainly could be better.  I'm not really talking about my depression, just in general.  Really only one friend knows about my depression & she will encourage & listen well.  I tell my husband about it, but he just doesn't really buy it.  To him it's more I'm just  "low" for a bit & it's something that just needs to pass.  One of these days I'll make the big leap & actually go see a counselor or other therapist person. It's just something I fear will take up time & not benefit me much.  I'd like to feel more comfortable around the people who live near me.  I'd like more security in having a network of people who I could call on if the chips were really down. Nobody ever calls me when they are in a bind.  My family is pretty small and it seems like we can only take small doses of each other so it's hard to really open up to them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)