Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meds

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
I am considering going off of my medication. I think I can do pretty good with out it. I was fine without it for 20 years but now I feel so depends t on it. I want to be able to go off of it but I am not sure how to or if it is safe to go off of it.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Tracys2
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Depends on the medication. I'm on Prozac, and was told you can pretty much stop, but effexor and paxil need a slow wean or you can get nasty effects. I don't know othe drugs, but I know others here do. It took me a semi-icky month to get off a low dose of effexor.

Good luck!

ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Thats awesome if you could do without meds, but just try to remember, depression/ mental illness is a disease, at least thats what the drs say. Dont be down on yourself if you find that you really do need meds, none of us asked for this crap! Ive been on meds since I was 16 and Im now 41. I wish I didnt have to take them, but I have found out the hard way that I do. What are you taking?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:54 PM
I am on (50-100mg) and lamictol (150mg)

Quoting ashleighmama:

Thats awesome if you could do without meds, but just try to remember, depression/ mental illness is a disease, at least thats what the drs say. Dont be down on yourself if you find that you really do need meds, none of us asked for this crap! Ive been on meds since I was 16 and Im now 41. I wish I didnt have to take them, but I have found out the hard way that I do. What are you taking?
MommysTimeOut5
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

talk to your doctor first and then maybe try lowering the doses and find other coping mechanism that will help you where the medicine used to pick up. There are a lot of natural things that will help your mental health. Good luck I am rooting for you

ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:06 PM
I dont know what happened, but I could only see that you take Lamictil, whats the other one? I was on Lamictil for a few yrs about 5 yrs ago and even with ins. I had a $98 a month co pay, and once in a while I would have to wait until pay day to get my refill, so I would end up running out, it sucked. Your best bet is to talk to your dr and let him/her tell you how to taper off them to avoid withdrawls, or at least the really bad part of it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ashleighmama:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:02 AM
1 mom liked this

work with your dr to get you off of it. dont just quit cold turkey.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I was mobile so my phone messed it up. The other one is Trazadone. I will talk to my doctor first about it. I have an appointment in a week or two so I can talk to her then.

Quoting ashleighmama:

I dont know what happened, but I could only see that you take Lamictil, whats the other one? I was on Lamictil for a few yrs about 5 yrs ago and even with ins. I had a $98 a month co pay, and once in a while I would have to wait until pay day to get my refill, so I would end up running out, it sucked. Your best bet is to talk to your dr and let him/her tell you how to taper off them to avoid withdrawls, or at least the really bad part of it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting ashleighmama:

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I am currently going off all my meds.  Work with your doc.  I have had to quit some cold turkey but it isn't advisable, the drug manufacturers and docs say to go off slowly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)