Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Trouble focusing

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:01 AM
  • 15 Replies

I'm having a really hard time staying focused, and to be honest, caring much about anything. So far in school, my grades have been great. Last semester was my first one not on the Deans list (my 7th semester). But midterms are right now, it's my last semester (of classes), and I frankly don't really care how I do. I can't stay focused trying to study, and I just want to get the semester over with. I have no motivation to go out and actually get the internship I need to graduate. I get upset that I feel this way, but I just don't feel like doing anything. This isn't me. I've worked so hard to keep my GPA up, but I just don't feel like putting in the effort right now. I even have tears running down my face right now. I don't know what to do anymore!

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BambiEyes26
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:48 AM

First off, breathe..just breathe. I would create Iist of what needs to be completed and what is the best way to get it done. Think about why you chose the field you chose, think about how far you may have come from the beginning. I personally like to write down everything and it helps me focus, my life is full of lists.

Has anything changed in your life recently? Did something happen? Have you talked to anyone about this?

teal.blaze
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:01 AM

My husband lost his job about a month ago. I have a bill due tomorrow, my car has no gas, and we are still waiting on DHS paperwork for fs. We can't get cash assistance because they said that I would need to do their work requirements for 40 hours a week, which isn't possible with my classes. I have a counseling appointment tomorrow. I just wish they could have gotten me in before the exam I have at 9:30am tomorrow...

i just feel so overwhelmed. There is so much going on that I just don't have the strength to deal with anymore...

Quoting BambiEyes26:

First off, breathe..just breathe. I would create Iist of what needs to be completed and what is the best way to get it done. Think about why you chose the field you chose, think about how far you may have come from the beginning. I personally like to write down everything and it helps me focus, my life is full of lists.

Has anything changed in your life recently? Did something happen? Have you talked to anyone about this?

BambiEyes26
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:24 AM

I'm sorry for my over-simplified advice. I hope things get better for you.

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:11 AM
1 mom liked this

inability to focus and concentrate is a sign of depression.  i would seek help from a dr or therapist.  they can help you.

teal.blaze
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:54 AM

I'm already taking Zoloft. But my constant inattention and frustration seems to have gotten worse the last few weeks. I do have an appointment later today with a therapist, but they can't give prescriptions. And I have no insurance to cover a dr's visit. I'm really looking for some suggestions for relieving my stress, etc. I know my therapist will help with that, but I haven't had my first appointment yet.

Quoting lyrick24:

inability to focus and concentrate is a sign of depression.  i would seek help from a dr or therapist.  they can help you.

Tracys2
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:47 AM

For relieving stress, I like music and exercise. Sometimes, I used to get in my car alone and just yell as loud as I could on the road where nobody could hear. Exercise is the best for me in terms of that anxiety that won't let you concentrate. Sometimes food and laughter. It is hard though, depression is a strong enemy.

Just so you know, I called my doctor after I was on prozac for a month and she upped my prescription with no appointment/charge. Yours may. Might as well ask. They usually expect you to wait 4-8 weeks (depending on your drug and doctor), but it's worth trying.

Good luck!

teal.blaze
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Thank you so much! I think I'll avoid the food though. Lol. I'm a stress eater, so I gorge when I'm frustrated and stressed out....and mostly on not-so-healthy stuff....

Quoting Tracys2:

For relieving stress, I like music and exercise. Sometimes, I used to get in my car alone and just yell as loud as I could on the road where nobody could hear. Exercise is the best for me in terms of that anxiety that won't let you concentrate. Sometimes food and laughter. It is hard though, depression is a strong enemy.

Just so you know, I called my doctor after I was on prozac for a month and she upped my prescription with no appointment/charge. Yours may. Might as well ask. They usually expect you to wait 4-8 weeks (depending on your drug and doctor), but it's worth trying.

Good luck!

nai_ryoku
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:20 AM

When I get that way, it's usually a sign for me to have my meds reevaluated. Maybe you need to have yours tweaked. I like the advice about making a list and taking it one thing at a time.

teal.blaze
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:43 AM

My therapist thinks I need to have my dr change me to something besides Zoloft. She explained it to me, but I can't explain it without using my hands. Lol.

Quoting nai_ryoku:

When I get that way, it's usually a sign for me to have my meds reevaluated. Maybe you need to have yours tweaked. I like the advice about making a list and taking it one thing at a time.

childofGod995
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:25 PM

could you possibly also be adhd.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN