Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can my daughter be depressed but always so happy?

Posted by   + Show Post

I don't get it... my daughter has been home from college for two months now.  She was upset that she had to leave her friends at college and move back home.  But she's been working now, reconnecting with her local friends from high school that are either going to school nearby or not going to school.  We play games together, go shopping, watch movies, etc.  She generally seems happy - we fight occassionally but I've been staying out of her space - trying to give her more freedom and independence like she had when living in her own apt.  She will be turning 21 in April.

But then I looked on her Tumblr postings and found this:  (Feb 12) 

Welp, its official….

I have moderate to severe depression. Since the first step is to admit it, here it is. I haven’t told my parents, I don’t know how. This is the only social media site that my parents aren’t on, so I feel safe confessing here. Sometimes the best help can come from strangers.

Posted on Tuesday, February 12 2013. Tagged with: self harm  depression  i need help

I'm guessing this is self-diagnosed, possibly from a website.  I can't tell if she's just being moody or if this is something I should address somehow.  Any advice welcome!

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Replies (11-14):
nai_ryoku
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:25 AM

I've hid my issues from so many people over the years. When most find out that I have bipolar 2, they are shocked cuz I always seem so happy. Even when severely depressed, I can put up a pretty good front when out in public.

Tracys2
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Yeah, I convinced a counsellor that I was fine when I really wanted to die. It's not hard if you can get away between acting appearances. Nobody has ever seen me in person and told me I seemed depressed.

vivianbarnes
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:06 AM

You can go through both sides of depression at the same time. There are different types of depression. I think if she has any syptoms she needs to seek help. Bi-polar has 5 or 6 different types, including mixed  bi-polar.  Webmd is a good reference site, but I don't recommend it for diagnosing anything other then maybe the common cold. It talks about every aspect of problems, but can be confusing.  

erikadi
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I would address it, but find a way that would not show that you found it through a post that she thought you could not find. I think she needs to know you are there regardless of what it is about. As for her seeming to be happy my therapist once told me depressed people hide behind a smile.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)