Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Sick of this...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

For the past few years I have had extreme anxiety issues.  It got so bad that in 2010-2011, I felt like I was having a heart attack.  The severe compression in the middle of my chest and woke up completely freaked out, dizzy, sweating....  I went to an ER and they sent me for follow up with a cardiologist. He ran EKG, checked BP, stress test, 24 hr holter monitor...I've even had echocardiograms and carotid artery scans. WHY in the hell do I still feel like something is wrong?! All of these tests check out fine.   I am just sent home with 'anexiety disorder'...Several people in my family have had issues with heart disease and many have died from it at a young age (I'm 30 btw). I know I have had all these tests recently but the 'anxiety' is coming back. I hate feeling this way. Family keeps telling me that I'm FINE and I should know this seeing as I had ALL those cardiac tests a couple of years ago...Why do I still freak out!?! Its keeping me from living my life. I'm afraid to even work out thinking i'll go into cardiac arrest or something. It's ridiculous to even think ONE shortness of breath (which is usually a bra thats too tight but I make it to be something terrible-of course), numbness in my left arm, achy back... or anything...i'm definitely having a heart attack. (that's what I think, anyway). It's driving my husband and family crazy and financially we cannot keep running to a dr every time I feel this way, if that were the case, I would probably live at the hospital.  It really does scare me that so many of my family has had the problem. IDK what other test I could possibly get to calm my fear. This crap is keeping me from living my life. I always think 'the worst' and I sometimes go to sleep at night thinking I'm going to die. I HATE anxiety!!! HELP me get over this awful feeling! What should I do?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Im sorry you have to go through this. Are you taking anything for the anxiety?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Not taking anything currently. I feel like a lot of meds make me crazier than I already am... hah. But I'm also breastfeeding so, I don't want her taking the meds too.

ChgIsGood2012
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Do you know where the anxiety stems from? When do you not feel anxious? What are your triggers?
flowrsgalore
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:38 PM

The first time I ever had what I guess was a panic attack was shortly after the birth of my daughter.  I was so  afraid my life was slipping away & I was feeling like death was close. Not like a heart attack but I was definitely fearful of death.  I don't mean to sound trite, but can you use your mind to get you out of these anxious situations.  Like telling yourself "I've felt this way before, this will pass", deep calm breathing, go out side or open a window for cool fresh air? I'm thinking just talking with your regular doctor could help too. They can do yearly tests & keep an eye on things regarding your heart. And I think they could give you something to take as needed for the anxiety.  At 30 years old you are right you shouldn't be living with this type of fear & I think you will be able to get this under control. Good luck.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I think that is what has gotten me through without many problems for awhile (telling myself I have felt this way before...) but the feelings are slowly coming back :-\ Most people (dr's included) just think I'm way too young to be experiencing this and the possibility of a heart attack is not existent (it can happen to anyone) But I'm trying to stay positive because its annoying when I think how much better my life would be if none of this was happening and I wasn't so afraid.  I'm not exactly sure what triggers it. It could possibly be our financial situation.  Seems like every time we're having money problems, I feel like this. Things are just really overwhelming. My husband is the only one working and his job doesn't even pay all of the bills. I have 2 degrees and can not find a job! So, that is very stressful.

svannie
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Yes...I've had this happen.  For years I dealt with frequent panic attacks.  I still get them now and again, but it has gotten way better.  

I stopped drinking caffeine and took meds, which helped.  But really helped was coming to terms with death.  It sounds crazy, but I had to really get centered and realize that perhaps I was having a heart attack and if that was so, oh well, I was dying and that was OK.  It is hard to do, but that's what helped me the most.  Then I didn't have the panic about the panic attack, if that makes sense.  After I came to terms with the fact the perhaps I was dying, my panic attacks decreased a lot.  

I wish you luck.  It is possible to overcome this, I promise.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Anxiety is real, and it is a real disorder.  What do you do to try to help your anxiety?  I do deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, art and listening to music.  All that does seem to help.

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:41 PM

are you taking something for anxiety? it might help if you see a dr and get something for it. i have to take klonopin twice a day for anxiety. i, too have had all those tests done.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I'm not taking anything right now but I might have to with symptoms returning...I try spending time with my daughters to keep my mind off of it but when your mind is running as fast as mine, its hard to get it to stop. Some times a little benedryl is a good solution to get to sleep.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)