Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

I think I might be depressed

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:56 PM
  • 8 Replies

I don't feel helpless or hopeless or particularly down or sad but I seem to be lacking motivation to do the things I need to get done, done.  I am also joyless, nothing seems to make me happy.  I live in a constant state of irritability too.  I have bipolar disorder and I am wondering if this is a depressive episode.  What do you ladies think?

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:06 PM

its possible. just watch yourself and try not to let it get out of hand.

Pinkmani
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:07 PM

It possibly is just a depressive episode. Of course, it depends on how long this episode lasts... Maybe this is a sign that you might need to increase your lithium. Is it possible that you can see a therapist? 

Have you considered a diet change?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/350102-foods-that-help-in-treating-bipolar-disorder/ 

dizzy77702
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I see my psychiatrist next fri and I'm going to ask him about a med change, I am currently on depakote, wellbutrin and saphris but I don't feel they are really working.  I've been feeling this way since I started these meds last may.  I think I've given them plenty of time to work and the only thing they seem to do for me is to make me tired.  I see a therapist about once every three weeks or so and if things get worse, I will see if I can see her more often.  I am just tired of going through the motions and being generally unhappy with my life, I just don't know what could or should happen to change how I feel about where I am right now.  Thanks for the advice and I will look into the foods that could help elevate my moods.  I joined the gym in august and have been going pretty regularly, that is helping but I still feel like something is missing from my life but it is hard to make changes when you can't really pinpoint the reasons for your unhappiness.

Quoting Pinkmani:

It possibly is just a depressive episode. Of course, it depends on how long this episode lasts... Maybe this is a sign that you might need to increase your lithium. Is it possible that you can see a therapist? 

http://www.livestrong.com/article/350102-foods-that-help-in-treating-bipolar-disorder/ 

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Do you get mixed episodes?  Being irritable sucks.  What helps to soothe you?  I love lavender essential oil, and this "peace of mind" stuff I got from Origins.  Many people with bipolar can get triggered by the change of seasons, either depression, mania or mixed episodes.

dizzy77702
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Unfortunatly for me, I think I live in an almost constant mixed state and so far I haven't found any kinds of meds or therapy to help it.  For me keeping busy is key.  When I am not actively involved in something I tend to ruminate.

Quoting matreshka:

Do you get mixed episodes?  Being irritable sucks.  What helps to soothe you?  I love lavender essential oil, and this "peace of mind" stuff I got from Origins.  Many people with bipolar can get triggered by the change of seasons, either depression, mania or mixed episodes.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Me too.  If I am not having a horribly "bottom of the ocean" depression or a crazy manic episode I live in a mixed state, and I haven't really found that meds help that.

I like things that I can do with my hands, even if its just doing the dishes because once I get involved with it, I can focus on what I am doing and not what I am thinking or feeling.

Quoting dizzy77702:

Unfortunatly for me, I think I live in an almost constant mixed state and so far I haven't found any kinds of meds or therapy to help it.  For me keeping busy is key.  When I am not actively involved in something I tend to ruminate.

Quoting matreshka:

Pinkmani
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Those meds should have been working by now! It's good that you're working out, KEEP IT UP! I'm so sorry that you're feeling this way, darling!

I've been battling depression since 2010, but I never got treated until October 2012 and Lexapro has been my lifesaver. I gained 60 lbs because I allowed food to be my best friend. I was a total bitch to my family and they all thought it was PMS. I know what it's like to be unhappy for no reason.

-------------

I LOVE Pinterest! 

http://pinterest.com/trishbarker/depression/ 

http://pinterest.com/bipolarbandit/depression/

Quoting dizzy77702:

I see my psychiatrist next fri and I'm going to ask him about a med change, I am currently on depakote, wellbutrin and saphris but I don't feel they are really working.  I've been feeling this way since I started these meds last may.  I think I've given them plenty of time to work and the only thing they seem to do for me is to make me tired.  I see a therapist about once every three weeks or so and if things get worse, I will see if I can see her more often.  I am just tired of going through the motions and being generally unhappy with my life, I just don't know what could or should happen to change how I feel about where I am right now.  Thanks for the advice and I will look into the foods that could help elevate my moods.  I joined the gym in august and have been going pretty regularly, that is helping but I still feel like something is missing from my life but it is hard to make changes when you can't really pinpoint the reasons for your unhappiness.

Quoting Pinkmani:

nai_ryoku
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Yes, I'm sure it is. I'm diagnosed w/ bipolar 2 so my depression is the dominant mood. I can definitely identify w/ the way you're feeling. If you're on meds, maybe it's time to have them evaluated.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)