Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

in chronic pain and have had enough feeling helpless!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
I've been living in pain for over 10yrs. Due to a work injury. I have had 3 back surgeries and have gone through every kind of therapy and treatment you could think of to try and get rid of the pain. To make s long story short. Lately more and more I just cry about everything. I'm tired of not being myself. I have 3 kids one of which has a disability and is autistic and I feel like I'm failing them as a mother. Yes I'll admit I have contemplated ending bit all. I am on pain meds. When I was at my Dr.s office and crying I asked her for a reference to a psychiatrist and she called me a drug addict. I'm lost and a mess.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
deltathree
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:01 PM

so sorry - huge hugs.....that's frustrating.  Maybe try looking up a T or pdoc on your own.  I hope you find someone to better help you.

hugs

leahbeah143
by Leah on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:02 PM

wow, did she give you the referral?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:07 PM
No she didn't and I didn't know what to say I was such a mess that day I was going through a lot at the time. She is my primary care Dr. And I don't want to go see her again for anything,so now I have to find a new one. And thanks for the nice response.
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:40 PM

she should have never called you a drug addict. that was very unprofessioal of her. i would switch drs. make an appt with a therapist and see if they think you need to be referred to a psychiatrist. i have had bad back problems before with immence pain and it did make me depressed. i wish you the best of luck.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:15 PM

That doc is an ass****.  I wouldn't go back to her at all. Please don't let it deter you from finding a psych doc or therapist.  Try to see if you can call your insurance to get a referral.

I have chronic pain as well. In addition to fibro and RA, I have a hip injury which has given me permanent problems.

Have you ever tried a pain management center or alternative therapies?  I do physcial therapy every once and a while to help my pain, I also get massages and do light no-impact exercise.  I can't take pain pills anymore and haven't in years, they don't do anything for me.

Quoting Anonymous:

No she didn't and I didn't know what to say I was such a mess that day I was going through a lot at the time. She is my primary care Dr. And I don't want to go see her again for anything,so now I have to find a new one. And thanks for the nice response.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:47 PM
I go to a pain clinic now and I am on pain meds. They take the edge off but never take the pain away. I have a hard time just getting motivated to do anything. I cry all the time over everything. I'm going to see a chiropractor on Friday. I know I need to see a therapist but I don't want anymore pills. I'm on enough that don't work.
Nena70
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Pain is horrible , I have been where you are.  Its not OK for your Dr to call you a drug addict. Maybe  you could call again and ask for a referral for a psychiatrist. If you cant get one, go somewhere else or get another MD to give you referral for depression symptoms. Pain and depression can go hand in hand.

Getting counseling too helped so much for me to cope with pain and depression.  Please keep trying !!!

mlops
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I have chronic pain issues also. I have 4 children (2 biological-2 step), I have one child left at home-I understand where you are coming from. I also feel as if I am failing my children. However, I have also taught them to be more empathic. I have shown them what their mom is really made of. A woman who has had her life turned upside down and has had more than her share of "crap" and has fought every step of the way. My journey started 4 years ago. Your Dr had no right calling you an addict-it is so hard with chronic pain to have others who are not in pain understand. Keep fighting for yourself. I know it is hard, but you have to advocate for yourself. Is there more than one Dr in the practice? Maybe you can switch? Try to get a referral at least. I see an awesome psychologist, and am in a pain management practice. I do not like taking all the meds I do, but I will do what I have to. I also have PT when I feel things just are not "right". Please, keep trying, you are more than worth it. Your children need a mom, you need you...keep fighting...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN