Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Jaw clenching?

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:18 PM
  • 14 Replies

THe worst issue I am having with coming off of klonopin is that my jaw is clenching severely.  It is causing me the worst headaches everyday.  When I try to do neck rolls all I hear is popping in crunching in my neck and even in my jaw and gums.

I'm not really sure what to do about this.

should I see my primary care or a dentist?  I don't want to get the runaround from a variety of docs.

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leahbeah143
by Leah on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I would try using a heat pad or pillow to relax my jaw and neck

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I did just take a hot shower and it helped a bit.  I want to try to find a heating pad sort of thing that is made to go around the neck gently.

Quoting leahbeah143:

leahbeah143
by Leah on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I have an aromatherapy flax seed filled heat pillow that goes in the microwave and I love it

Quoting matreshka:

I did just take a hot shower and it helped a bit.  I want to try to find a heating pad sort of thing that is made to go around the neck gently.

Quoting leahbeah143:

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:37 PM

are you clenching from having anxiety or is it a side effect from coming off the klonopin? i know when i am anxious i clench my teeth bad.

rainbowmaker
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I had the same issue, clenching my jaw. 

I was waking up with tension headaches from clenching my jaw.

I finally went to the doctor and he made me a mouthguard to wear at night so that I couldn't clench my

jaw while I was sleeping.

Problem solved...no more jaw pain or anything!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:16 AM
You can pick up a mouth guard from a sports store first and try that and see if it works. My sister is a dental assistant and that's what they told me to do for grinding my teeth. They cost a lot of money so to test it out, cheaper way to do it.
jdy9440
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:34 AM
QVC.com sells a heating pad designed to put around the back of your neck. Hope you start feeling better soon, I've had these issues at night before when I'm very stressed.
matreshka
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:48 AM

I have one that goes over my eyes and brow and its so relaxing.

Quoting leahbeah143:

I have an aromatherapy flax seed filled heat pillow that goes in the microwave and I love it

Quoting matreshka:

Quoting leahbeah143:

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Honestly I'm not too sure.  The tension in my jaw and neck is pretty extreme.  I haven't had many side effects coming of 3mg a day so I think I'm sort of lucky with that.

I do have a lot of stressors and I think that is definitely part of the problem.

Quoting lyrick24:

are you clenching from having anxiety or is it a side effect from coming off the klonopin? i know when i am anxious i clench my teeth bad.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:51 AM

The one time of day I am not clenching my teeth is at night when I'm sleeping.  I am still taking meds at night and one of them is a beta blocker that really relaxes my muscles.

I think I should go to the dentist though because it worries me that I can feel the tension in my gums!

Quoting rainbowmaker:

I had the same issue, clenching my jaw. 

I was waking up with tension headaches from clenching my jaw.

I finally went to the doctor and he made me a mouthguard to wear at night so that I couldn't clench my

jaw while I was sleeping.

Problem solved...no more jaw pain or anything!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN