• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone had any experience with a

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:45 AM
  • 5 Replies

DVR(Dept. of Vocational Rehab) office?  I am considering using them.  I have a sketchy work history over the last 10 years or so and it's mainly because the jobs I'm finding are crap jobs.  Awful.  Front desk at a family owned hotel (slave) I worked the phones at DISHNetwork, who turns out is rated one of the worst places on the planet to work.  And I worked for a rafting company doing check ins and processing photos, but most of the time was spent cleaning the office and bathrooms.

I need a career.  I don't think my cooking/baking is going to pan out for me and I need to face the reality of it  I iam hoping they can help me get training in medical administration. 

So, has anyone dealt with this sort of organization before and were they of help?

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
matreshka
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I have not, DH did and they were not helpful here, but every place is different.  Be proactive and let them know what you want to do as a career and hopefully they can give you an advantage when you apply for positions.

snookyfritz
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:49 AM

That's what I'm hoping for.  Thanks matreshka

matreshka
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

No Prob :) I just remembered my cousin did it in NY State and it was extrordinarily helpful. They helped her go back to school to be a LPN at first and then after a few years became and RN.  We live in MA and there is no real dept of vocational rehab or anything like that, we just have career centers funded by the state, which are little more than places to use the internet to find jobs.

Quoting snookyfritz:

That's what I'm hoping for.  Thanks matreshka

snookyfritz
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM

We have workforce centers here too and they are exactly what you describe.  The DVR, I'm hoping, will help me retrain for a career.  I have had a problem since my major depressive incident, concentrating.  But my threshold for boredom is pretty low. 

I'm also afraid of being labelled.

matreshka
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

That is understandable.  My cousin went to the one in NY because she has ADD and they really wanted to help and didn't make her feel uncomfortable.

Quoting snookyfritz:

We have workforce centers here too and they are exactly what you describe.  The DVR, I'm hoping, will help me retrain for a career.  I have had a problem since my major depressive incident, concentrating.  But my threshold for boredom is pretty low. 

I'm also afraid of being labelled.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)