Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Disease

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:57 AM
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this
Sorry for all of the posts. I am just workig through tons of emotions tonight and writing things out helps a lot. I am having a very hard time coping with the fact that I have a mental illness and a disease that will be there my entire life. Something that most likely will never go away and will never be cured or go into remission. It is something that most people don't even see or recognize yet it causes me so much agony. I don't like to admit I will probably be in therapy for the rest of my life just to learn how to cope and deal with this disease. I have to worry about people discriminating aganst me for it or treating me as if I am faking it or making it up. I just don't really know how to help people understand nor am I sure I want them to understand that I have this disease that I have to deal with that causes me pain and harm everyday but they can't see the physical effects of it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mgkronenbitter
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:16 AM

I go through the same thing day in and day out and it has taken a long time for anyone to understand me which they will fully never do. With my meds im a whole different person plus therapy but sometimes that's both not enough and im 23 weeks pregnant and I haven't been on any meds the whole time so its really hard. The racing thoughts, the burst of teas, the screaming and yelling, the running away from my problems, the lashing out, and people think were weird because of it but yet I consider us normal we just have our own reactions when things happen in our lives. I have bought many books, been to church, exercised, doctors, counseling, everything! The sooner we accept that we just act a little different at times the easier it is to explain and admit and deal with it. I barley have any friends but sometimes its better to stay close to the ones that knew you before and not after. Everything will be ok. Let me know if I can help! Been there done that type of thing! Feel Better!

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:26 AM
2 moms liked this

the important thing is that you understand it and are dealing with it. alot of people dont understand mental illness and sometimes its pointless to try and get them to. i would try and find a support group where you are moving to so you can have people in your life that do understand.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:45 AM

*hugs*

I have been struggling with that a lot lately too!

lexismom90
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Thanks! It is really hard going through all of this and being pregnant no one seems to understand the agony of a mental illness and what all it entails. Being pregnant is really rough on me. I only have a small handful o friends and very few of whom know I suffer from this and very few that I see regularly. I am still getting use to everything and learning how to cope. I have only been fully diagnosed for around a year onl been dealing with the severity of it for a year and a half two years. I have had it way longer but it wasn't even close to being this bad before.

Quoting mgkronenbitter:

I go through the same thing day in and day out and it has taken a long time for anyone to understand me which they will fully never do. With my meds im a whole different person plus therapy but sometimes that's both not enough and im 23 weeks pregnant and I haven't been on any meds the whole time so its really hard. The racing thoughts, the burst of teas, the screaming and yelling, the running away from my problems, the lashing out, and people think were weird because of it but yet I consider us normal we just have our own reactions when things happen in our lives. I have bought many books, been to church, exercised, doctors, counseling, everything! The sooner we accept that we just act a little different at times the easier it is to explain and admit and deal with it. I barley have any friends but sometimes its better to stay close to the ones that knew you before and not after. Everything will be ok. Let me know if I can help! Been there done that type of thing! Feel Better!

lashea727
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I going through it now cause I just start therapy, I feel good but it's going to take day by day to get better, I hope my kids will understand how I feel everyday. IM dealing with this all my life. I have a long way to go and meeting people everyday. I always get pick on and talk about everyday.
gonecrazi
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:06 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes, you have an illness. You can't let it take over life. You will learn how to avoid your triggers and that is going to be a big help. You are not your illness. It just takes time to get your head around everything.

lashea727
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:28 PM
What kind of illness you have.
nai_ryoku
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I may have shared this w/ you before but my memory suxs so bad so if I have, my apologies! Lol A person who has diabetes or has had an organ transplant or has HIV must be on meds and regular doctor appts. for the rest of their lives to survive. So do we. There's a lot of stigma out there regarding mental illness which stinks and it's unfair but if enough of us shout it out to the heavens and make it public, maybe one day it will be looked at differently. Don't be ashamed of what you have. You are taking your meds, you are seeking therapy, you are doing your best and that's all anyone can expect from those of us who deal w/ mental illness. A brain is an organ too ya know! Lol I laugh about it and I am open about what I deal w/ and more should be that way. You are a momma giving her best for her babies and yet you deal w/ a mental illness? Go girl!!!

lexismom90
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:11 AM
I am bipolar with an anxiety disorder.

Quoting lashea727:

What kind of illness you have.
lexismom90
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Thank you I never really thought of it like that I guess.

Quoting nai_ryoku:

I may have shared this w/ you before but my memory suxs so bad so if I have, my apologies! Lol A person who has diabetes or has had an organ transplant or has HIV must be on meds and regular doctor appts. for the rest of their lives to survive. So do we. There's a lot of stigma out there regarding mental illness which stinks and it's unfair but if enough of us shout it out to the heavens and make it public, maybe one day it will be looked at differently. Don't be ashamed of what you have. You are taking your meds, you are seeking therapy, you are doing your best and that's all anyone can expect from those of us who deal w/ mental illness. A brain is an organ too ya know! Lol I laugh about it and I am open about what I deal w/ and more should be that way. You are a momma giving her best for her babies and yet you deal w/ a mental illness? Go girl!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)