Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Does anyone else....

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:25 PM
  • 12 Replies

Does anyone else self injure? Have you had success stopping?

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
keikco
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:30 PM

2 years ago, i started cutting myself. Thats when i reilized i needed professional help. I talked to my doctor who put me on meds and sent me to a therapist. I'm still depressed but don't cut anymore.

SAMI_JO
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:35 PM

I have a therapist , meds, everything  you could think of but I crave it like I crave food. I have started doing my stomach because no one is going to see.

MommysTimeOut5
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Well I never successfully cut but I did pinch or scratch until there were words carved/ welted on my skin. That's a hard thing to stop but try talking to someone about another outlet for letting your pain or whatever drives you to cutting. It might be crying, exercising, writing, drawing, or anything to calm you down until your storm passes. Good luck

SAMI_JO
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I don't cut, but when I get upset I CLAW a chunk out of my arm. and now I have started scratching my stomach so that it will scab and I can keep pulling to get that physical pain.

SAMI_JO
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:56 PM

checking out for now, sick to my stomach.

ghostcat90
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:23 PM

I have trichotillomania (hair pulling)...I tried meds, I tried therapy...the meds F*CKED ME UP and my therapist blamed me for my problems (given that I already have an overwhelming sense of guilt, that did NOT help!).  When it got to its worst, I was studying one night, looked at my text book and it was covered in hair.  I ran to the mirror and realized my eyebrows were completely gone GONE!  I have pictures to prove it too and they won't grow back right now (10 years later).  I crashed that night, complete hysterics, didn't know what to do.  

Two things happened...1) My little pug dog came up and even though he was recovering from a back injury managed to stand on his hind legs and laid his head on my hand and cried  with me(pugs cry big ol' crocodile tears) and 2) my dad finally admitted that it was something that had turned up in his family from time to time.  Apparently I had a great aunt who was bald because of it.  

Anyway, one of the things that led to me developing this behavior was stress from school and an abusive relationship.  I found a way to destress and reclaim my life.  I started taking karate, I made friends, I even gained a reputation on the circuit because I was the only female fighter in a bandana (no eyebrows > sweat in eyes > PAIN!...I also had a bald spot in the top of my head from the hair pulling).  I still pull some, but no where near what it was.  

Identify your triggers, find some way to redirect that energy.  I set goals for myself...I think one of the reasons I went for my eyebrows was because I had these big ol' bushy caterpillar brows and no one ever really taught me how to be a girl (wear makeup, do my hair, etc)...so I set a goal to NEVER have caterpillar brows again and as soon as I grew them out somewhat I started getting them waxed and maintained.  I still get my "fix" so to speak but I don't pull like I used to.

Also, remove the items that lead to the damage...for me, I cut my hair off...I used to have this LONG thick head of hair, I wacked every bit of it off and kept it maintained.  I spent way too much money on it to let myself pull it out.  Try getting one of those spandex/spanx tank things (I'm wearing one and I don't know what it's called!) but it will make it harder to get to your stomach, thus making it harder to do yourself damage.  

Also, while I'm sure we are all perfectly willing to help you cope with this, you might want to consider looking for a cutters/skin pickers (I do a bit of that too...it's in the same class as trich) support group.  That way there's not the concern of being judged by people who have never been through it and the increased liklihood you will find people who have potential solutions for you.

*hugs* Hang in there!

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Its been almost year since I last self injured.  DBT has helped me tremendously.  I still get urges once and a while but I do things like hold an ice cube, go for a walk, journal, call crisis, anything to get through the intense emotional pain I feel.  The extreme pain is temporary and if you can find a way to hold out until it passes that would really help.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:35 PM

not yet.. but i totally feel like walking in front of a bus... lately

Serenity7
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:46 PM

(((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))

reindeer-c
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:59 AM

I self injure through overexercise. I know I am hurting my body but I do not care.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN