Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

worried about my sister

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:11 PM
  • 5 Replies

hi, my sister and i both have very new babies, which we both love sooo much! recently my sister has been acting out, and my family is very concerned about her.  she is not the kind of person who is easy to talk to, especially in this situation.  she and her husband have been together since they were in high school. this is their first baby, she is 31.  as of late, she always wants to go out on the town, she's never been a drinker, but now it seems like that's all she wants to do!  she can't stand to be around her husband, even though he is trying desperately to get through to her.  she's not a bad mom, and she loves her son very much.  my concern is all of the new negativity toward her husband, and constant need to act like a kid again.  we are wondering if you all have any advice on how to approach the impending confrontation with her. something needs to be done before she ruins her marriage.  she's always been an edgy kind of person, but now we can't even talk to her about any personal issues without her snapping. is this ppd? how do we talk to her? is there anything more subtle we can do to help her? 

by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
matreshka
by Ruby Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I don't know if there is much you can do, if she has a history of not wanting to listen. I think maybe trying to tell her your worried and listing specific things she does may be the way to go but its up to her, especially at 31 to make any changes (((hugs)))

amonkeymom
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 4:00 PM

It could be PPD, but you can't really do anything other than try to talk to her.  Her husband might be able to mention it to her doctor though.

Congrats on your new baby and becoming an auntie too.

Quoting krizmcfiz:

hi, my sister and i both have very new babies, which we both love sooo much! recently my sister has been acting out, and my family is very concerned about her.  she is not the kind of person who is easy to talk to, especially in this situation.  she and her husband have been together since they were in high school. this is their first baby, she is 31.  as of late, she always wants to go out on the town, she's never been a drinker, but now it seems like that's all she wants to do!  she can't stand to be around her husband, even though he is trying desperately to get through to her.  she's not a bad mom, and she loves her son very much.  my concern is all of the new negativity toward her husband, and constant need to act like a kid again.  we are wondering if you all have any advice on how to approach the impending confrontation with her. something needs to be done before she ruins her marriage.  she's always been an edgy kind of person, but now we can't even talk to her about any personal issues without her snapping. is this ppd? how do we talk to her? is there anything more subtle we can do to help her? 

childofGod995
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this

we can not change people. they have to want to change.

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:38 PM

maybe she felt a sense of being tied down when she was pregnant and now she is making up for lost time. motherhood may not agree with her.  i hope she gets it together before  it is too late for her marriage. i would try talking to her in a nice tone. hopefull you can help her.

krizmcfiz
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:01 PM

the feeling of being tied down may very well be the bulk of the problem! thanks so much for all the great perspectives.. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)