Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Abilify vs Effexor

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
So I have been on Effexor for close to two years but recently within the last two months I have been having times where I fall into a deep depression for a week straight- cant get out of bed- crying all the time- miss work for a whole 5 days straight- I have an appt with my dr this Friday and I think I need to try something different but I am terrified- I don't want to have anything throw me off any worse- I heard that abilify was good- is there any one out there that could give me some advice on switching my med please- thank you for your help!
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
anj2mom
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:59 PM
I'm not on anything but my dh was on effexor for a long time and thought it wasnt doing anything 2 yrs ago so he got off. Well he started having panic attacks and had to stay off work a few months while he got it under control. His psychiatrist put him on lexapro and it has worked wonders for him. He is so much better on it. Whatevr u get on, work yourself up to the dose they want u at. Tell or ask them about that. That way the side effects wont b as bad while your body adjusts. dh did that. And give it 2 wks please before u decide if u like it. Dh tried giving up on the lexapro bc of how he felt getting used to it but im glad he toughed it out the 2nd time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:33 PM
I just started Abilify about a month ago as an add with my Prozac. Im pretty sure that for depression and anxiety, Abilify isnt used alone, Im thinking your dr. will add it to your effexor. I dont know yet if the Abilify is helping me yet or not, Im still on a super low dose. Good luck mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:14 AM
Thanks for all your inputs wish me luck! At the same time I'm coming off my anti seziure med too so it's going to be a very difficult time for me the next few months! Thanks for the well wishes!
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:50 AM

i can tell you that coming off effexor is hard. if they take you off of it do it slowly with just a little bit at a time. some people have had awful withdrawals from it. i was on it and came off little by little and it was ok for me.

SAMI_JO
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Effexor is MUCH cheaper for those of us who don't have insurance.

newoldmommy
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I was on effexor alone, and it was not enough either....my doctor added abilify to my meds. So maybe consider discussing increasing your effexor dose and adding abilify. They should start you on the lowest dose, 2mg, and you can increase it until it balances out for you. Hope it helps to hear from someone on both. Feel free to write me if you have any other questions. I should mention that I also take trazadone at night, and buspar for anxiety. But the abilify is designed to work with your antidepressant not instead of it. Good luck and keep us posted.

gonecrazi
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I take abilify along with my antidepressent, sorta like a booster. I've been stable 2 years.

lancet98
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:33 PM

i don't think it would be a matter of abilify vs effexor.

People don't generally take abilify alone for depression so I don't think you'd get switched from only effexor to only abilify.   It's designed to make an antidepressant medication work better.  

Rarely, it is used alone for really stubborn depression that doesn't respond to other medications.

It is also used by people with bipolar disorder to treat symptoms of bipolar, again, usually with another medication.   Abilify is usually used alone, to treat schizophrenia.  

the reason it can serve these 3 purposes, is that abilify adjusts to a person's individual chemistry.

abilify isn't actually an antidepressant.   to me with as little as i know, i don't believe your doc would put you only on abilify for your depression. but it sure might help your antidepressant work better - doc might change your effexor dose, too maybe.  it really sounds like you would benefit a lot from having a helper medication.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:34 AM
they are two different types of meds. abilify is not an anti depressant. it is in a class called atypical antipsychotic but don't let the name scare you. I know docs do use it as an add on for treatment resistant depression but w an anti depressant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)