Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 HTP/GABA ?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:52 PM
  • 8 Replies

5HTP precursor to serotonin.  OTC.  Anybody try it?  Just read it in anoher group.  Love it as I have tried all SSRI's and SNRI's. Love if an OTCdrug could help me(?)

EDIT:  What about GABA?  Anyone try it?  OTC.  Supposed to help calm anxiety?  Have been on Xanax so long.(7yrs daily)

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
matreshka
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I have not tried it but I have heard that some people have had success with it. I'm guessing it generates more serotonin so don't take it if you are on SSRI/SNRI's because you don't want serotonin syndrome.

lyrick24
by Group Admin on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:42 AM
1 mom liked this

never heard of it. but i hope it helps you if you decide to take it.

bakermom5944
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

It is just great! No side effects and it works for me.  I also take many vitamins!!  Stopped taking my latest, Effexor Xr and started taking 5 HTP.  Huge difference.  Try it, but get a good brand, that makes a difference too!  Good luck. Let me know how it works for you!!

matreshka
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Good brands for all supplements are especially important, Even vitamins and omega 3 oils. I definitely notice a difference when I take high quality supplements. Some insurances will also reimburse part of the cost.

Quoting bakermom5944:

It is just great! No side effects and it works for me.  I also take many vitamins!!  Stopped taking my latest, Effexor Xr and started taking 5 HTP.  Huge difference.  Try it, but get a good brand, that makes a difference too!  Good luck. Let me know how it works for you!!

Monkeymama930
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 8:22 AM
I had never heard of this? My doc wants to take me off my meds so I may look into this!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I've taken 100mg capule prior to a few naps his week(am so tired),and the 5HTP has relaxedme,short ived, ouple hours for a  napwas fine,just testing it out.

mdawn028
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm on Wellbutrin didn't like zoloft didn't work for me didn't like Xanax either or any of that. Don't know just started my Wellbutrin for depression and anxiety almost been a month now have my good and bad days still at times. Hope u find something to help u hugs Dawna.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Quoting mdawn028:

I'm on Wellbutrin didn't like zoloft didn't work for me didn't like Xanax either or any of that. Don't know just started my Wellbutrin for depression and anxiety almost been a month now have my good and bad days still at times. Hope u find something to help u hugs Dawna.

TY Dawna!  Wellbutrin made this anxous p anicky Mama worse.  Hope u have gd  luck with it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)