Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Losing Touch With Your Loved Ones – It’s Okay

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:21 AM
  • 6 Replies

Sometime we go through some hard times in our lives and drop off the planet. We might be experiencing depression, or in a funk, and lose the ability to reach out to others for support.  It’s okay.

As time goes by, often times we start to feel bad, especially when we start to feel good again.  We realize that days may have turned into weeks, or even months since we’ve connected with a sibling, or close friend, and, as a result, you experience shame or feel guilt for losing touch.  It is important to understand that your loved ones want to hear from you regardless how much time has gone by.  You are the one stopping you from a relationship that is waiting to happen

Here are some tips to consider when you are ready to become social again:

1. Pick up the phone – Don’t think about it, just do it.  You’ve over thought the fact that you’ve been missing in someone’s life and guess what, they’re not mad, they just want to hear from you, so lose the guilt and wary feelings, and make the call.
  2. Send an email – Sometimes a telephone call can seem too daunting or out of the blue, and we feel awkward about making a call out of what seems to be nowhere.  Again, your loved ones want to hear from you so, send an email.
  3. Make it light – Don’t dwell on the fact that you’ve been away.  You don’t need to apologize, or justify why you were not accessible for a period of time, your loved ones know you.  When you get all dramatic about it, you lose your ability to be yourself, and your confidence to reach out and be the friend or daughter you are meant to be.

Think about someone today that has been missing in your life, and reach out.  It’s a simple act that will take you a long way, and free you from your own negative feelings that time has gone on too long.  It hasn’t.

It’s just time, ok.

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
deltathree
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I really like this!  can relate....

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Me too. An old friend dropped by unexpectedly the other week. We kept it light and it was a nice visit.

Quoting deltathree:

I really like this!  can relate....

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 1:51 PM

i have lost touch with my family as they have ignored me. i dont think they can deal with my bipolar so they quit inviting me and my family to any get togethers and such. i do talk to my mother every now and then but i dont think it is going to be able to be fixed.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:29 PM

My mom and I are very superficial with eachother. I think she is angry/resentful/something about me being bipolar even though it runs heavily in both sides of my family.  The rest of my family lives in NY so I rarely see them and don't really like going to the reunions because everyone drinks.

Quoting lyrick24:

i have lost touch with my family as they have ignored me. i dont think they can deal with my bipolar so they quit inviting me and my family to any get togethers and such. i do talk to my mother every now and then but i dont think it is going to be able to be fixed.

jurnee14
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:04 PM

How relevant! I have been nervous about posting here again, because Ive been away for so long. I miss everyone here though. 

Tracys2
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Thanks, matreshka. You made me think of an international group of friends that was never on facebook, and I looked one up, and she was there! And she found everyone else, and now we're all in touch. And they actually missed me! I know it won't like make the world happy and perfect, but I do love them and thank you so much for prompting me to make this positive change.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)