Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

Sleeping disorder?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:07 AM
  • 11 Replies
I'm 20 weeks pregnant. Not under much stress except from this anxiety.

So I know I have slight depression, I went to my doctors yesterday about it. I chose not to get on meds, I just don't feel comfortable with it.
Anyway, I have been having sleeping problems. I will go to sleep, be asleep but my brain will still be thinking and fully aware of all my surroundings. I wake up and my head is freaking killing me. Its like my anxiety keeps me awake at night. Like ill be having dreams but I will still be awake, and anything I think about can turn into a dream.
Is this REM sleep? Does anyone else experience this? I don't know what to do, I wake up so much at night.
I'm going to try to take some tylenol pm tonight. My doc said I could.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:48 AM

i would follow the directions of my dr. you might also try things like drinking warm milk or taking a bubble bath before you go to bed. i hope you get some good sleep soon.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Sounds like possible exploding head syndrome.  (You have to love it when patients name their own stuff!)
It also sounds similar to my cousin, who had seizures at night completely unaware of what was happening. 

Ask for a sleep study.

true-love-21
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:29 AM
I seriously doubt that's it, I don't have exploding noises in my head (just Googled it) and I'm not sure if I could fall asleep on some random bed while I know there is people watching me.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Sounds like possible exploding head syndrome.  (You have to love it when patients name their own stuff!)
It also sounds similar to my cousin, who had seizures at night completely unaware of what was happening. 

Ask for a sleep study.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lancet98
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Try 45 min of sleep routine before bed - no tv screens, no computer screens, read a book, sit in bed, be quiet.   Music on a low volume.   Herb teas can help - celestial seasonings makes a tea with valerian root. 

That might help.   Meditation, deep breathing, autogenic relaxation training, all can help.

leahbeah143
by Leah on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I haven't slept through the night in 2 years and I hate it! I fall asleep just fine, but I don't stay asleep. And I have no idea why I wake up either. I don't sleep with the tv on, and I have a fan going all the time as well as the running water from the turtle tank. My dr said no to sleeping pills (which I don't want anyways) because those are for people that have trouble falling asleep. I use lavender sleep lotion before bed, maybe I will try some sleepy tea.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I have a similar problem. It could just be pregnancy though, I slept horrible during pregnancy and better now. You may want to look into binauaral beats for relaxation and sleep. You listen to them with headphones. Some have music over them. I listen to mine on YouTube on my kindle at night.

Meditation during the day may help too.

cocoa132
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I have sleeping problems and i take Walsom.But you should ask your doctor first.

nai_ryoku
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:03 AM

I always had a hard time sleeping when I was pregnant. I even got pregnancy induced restless leg syndrome. Thank goodness it quit as soon as I would deliver cuz that stuff drove me even more nuts! Lol

pookie.bear2009
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I have this and im not pregnant. The bad thing about mine is that I will hear the radio(but I dont have a radio in the house) So I will still hear what is going on around me plus things that arent there.. sound wierd. 

When I was pregnant my doctor told me I could take Unisom I would ask him about that when I go to see him because if you arent hurting there is no point in taking tylenol. Hope things get better mama.

ghostcat90
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:01 PM

That sounds like sleep paralysis.  Look it up (or watch Ghost Hunters or Haunted Collector...it comes up on those alot!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)