Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Depression Support Center Depression Support Center

The Cognitive Symptoms of Depression

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:02 PM
  • 6 Replies

The Cognitive Symptoms of Depression

By Margarita Tartakovsky, M.S.

The Cognitive Symptoms of Depression The cognitive symptoms of depression tend to receive less attention than other symptoms of this difficult illness. Namely, symptoms such as sinking mood, fatigue and loss of interest garner more recognition.

Yet cognitive symptoms are quite common. “[They] are actually significantly prominent in depression,” said Deborah Serani, Psy.D, a clinical psychologist and author of the book Living with Depression.

And these symptoms are incredibly debilitating. “In my opinion, when cognitive symptoms of depression hit, they are more of a pressing concern than physical symptoms.”

Cognitive symptoms can interfere with all areas of a person’s life, including work, school and their relationships. Problem-solving and higher thinking, according to Serani, are greatly diminished. “This can leave a person feeling helpless and without a plan of action to defeat depression.”

Poor concentration can cause problems with communication, and indecisiveness may strain relationships, according to William Marchand, M.D., a clinical associate professor of psychiatry at the University of Utah School of Medicine and author of the book Depression and Bipolar Disorder: Your Guide to Recovery.

The cognitive symptoms of depression also may get confused with other conditions, complicating diagnosis. Here’s a specific list of symptoms along with similar disorders.

Cognitive Symptoms of Depression

“Cognitive symptoms can be subtle and often go unrecognized,” according to Dr. Marchand. Fortunately, psychotherapy can help individuals become more aware of these symptoms, such as distorted thinking, he said.

Marchand and Serani shared these cognitive symptoms of depression:

• Negative or distorted thinking
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Distractibility
  • Forgetfulness
  • Reduced reaction time
  • Memory loss
  • Indecisiveness

by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
lyrick24
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:18 PM

i am experiencing most of those things right now.

matreshka
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:22 PM

(((hugs))) do you go to therapy?

Quoting lyrick24:

lyrick24
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Quoting matreshka:

Quoting lyrick24:

i havent been going to therapy but i am thinking about starting again. i really need it.

snookyfritz
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Those are my symptoms too.  The memory loss is the worst part.  I feel so embarrassed when I should remember something and I don't.  I sometimes wish I had someone to talk to that actually understood how it feels.  A therapist is good, but affirmation that these feelings are real and not an excuse to check out would be nice

matreshka
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:41 PM
I know its not for everyone but it really helps me.

Quoting lyrick24:

Quoting matreshka:

Quoting lyrick24:

i havent been going to therapy but i am thinking about starting again. i really need it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this
My memory is terrible. I think part of it is also the meds. I used to be so sharp.

Quoting snookyfritz:

Those are my symptoms too.  The memory loss is the worst part.  I feel so embarrassed when I should remember something and I don't.  I sometimes wish I had someone to talk to that actually understood how it feels.  A therapist is good, but affirmation that these feelings are real and not an excuse to check out would be nice

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN